Chapter 41

She did a bit of work from home after Hook left but then she did what she had been putting off. Called her realtor. She wanted her own place and soon. She loved her parents and loved their house but it was time for her to get on with her life.

She gave her realtor her price, her must-have amenities, and what areas she was looking for. She would be busy all week looking at houses. She did not even tell Hook she was house hunting. She wondered what he would say about her decisions.

He came over every night and they enjoyed each other every night.

Her parents were coming home Saturday and Hook decided it would be a good thing to cook for them. Hook was in the kitchen chopping and dicing and boiling and crazy things she didn't know and the kitchen smelled divine. Her parents arrived through the side door and were immediately in the kitchen.

"Uh-oh, not my baby girl cooking I know," her father said, hugging her.

"Dad, I can cook...a bit. I'm watching Hook," she said.

"Ooo, Hook, you didn't have to go through all this trouble for us," her mother said, hugging Hook and then kissing his cheek. "But you read my mind and I can't wait to dig in."

"Mom! Don't I get a hug?"

"Of course dear," she said, hugging her. "Now get out of the kitchen and let that man finish. I'm sure you staring at his backside while he cooks is very distracting."

Angel groaned and rolled her eyes. Why did her mother have to be so embarrassing? She would gladly leave the kitchen before her parents embarrassed her anymore. She helped them bring their luggage inside and up to their room. Her mother told her all about their trip to Phoenix. They went there several times a year, it was where they both wanted to retire whenever they would fully retire from work.

"You guys are never going to retire," she said as she helped her mother unpack while her father went into his man cave to watch sports. "You should just get a second house in Phoenix, or just a condo. Then I can visit and stay there too. Like every winter when the weather is bad here in St. Louis."

"Actually dear, your father and I are considering retiring soon."

"Well, you both said that three years ago and didn't. Semi-retired...what is that, the new retired?"

"Well, three years ago your father thought he could leave the company in good hands. With uh...well, anyway, now there's no keeping the law firm in family hands, so we will just sell to the other partners."'

"What? Really?"

"No big deal. Your father is an old man, me, I'm still young," she said with a smile. "But we both want to enjoy ourselves as we brace for our golden years. Full retirement, he's finally ready."

"Oh wow, well good," she said. "Like when?"

"We've put the house on the market."

Angel stopped where she stood. They were serious. Her parents have been in this house for over twenty years, they were going to sell and leave? They could have warned her. Did Shay even know?

"Might be a couple of months, but we did look at quite a few properties in the Phoenix area. Found one we liked but haven't decided if we were going to put a bid in. Thought we would talk to you and your sister."

"It's not my decision mom, you guys do whatever you need to do."

"Of course your father and I were very concerned with you...before we just up and leave."

"Mom, I'm fine. I can take care of myself. Have been doing so for years."

"Have you?" she said, giving her the motherly smirk she hated. "Child, your ex-husband tried to kill you."