Chapter 8

He wondered if Angel was thinking about him like he was thinking of her. She was one sexy woman. And smart. It was not just her looks he was interested in. She had a lot going for her. She owned her own business that was doing well and he liked that. He had his own business too but it was nowhere near making the type of money she was. He was not a dummy, he googled her and was on all her social media, and saw how well she was doing.

In the short span, the Upscale Designs were in business they had made millions. Selling clothes? He was fixing cars, one of the most expensive items most people owned and he didn't pull six figures for himself. He was lucky if he cleared fifty thousand a year. Despite not being rich and successful, he loved owning his own business. It sure was a hard road to get to.

After his parents died, he went to live with his father's sister, who already had two kids of her own. His cousin Terrell was three and his cousin Alice was two. They got along like he was their older brother so it was all good. They lived in one of the roughest neighborhoods in north St. Louis city, and his aunt did not have much. She worked at the nearby nursing home and half the time the only food they ate was the food that would have been trash that she brought home.

He attended Sumner High School, whenever he did go to high school. He dropped out when he was seventeen because he was in and out of juvie and felt the school did not matter. Then he went to real prison at eighteen. Two years of his life wasted behind bars.

His aunt married his uncle while he was away and he helped to change his life. His uncle Dwight was a hustler, no job, but never broke. He decided to get his GED and then he attended Ranken Technical College to get a degree in auto mechanics. From there he worked at several auto repair shops before his Uncle Dwight helped him to buy his shop two years ago.

He was forever grateful to him and he continued to try and live a solid, righteous life that would keep his uncle proud. His shop was his prized possession. He was good at what he did.

But he knew none of that would matter to somebody like Angel who grew up around wealth and riches. He could not offer her a thing.

Good sex.

Not that he was complaining about that. He just was not interested in being her rebound guy.

"Yo Hook man, me and Coop bout to go down to Bottoms Up, make it rain on them hoes, and see if we can get some pussy," his boy Davion said to him coming into his small, cramped, and messy office.

"You know I don't do strip clubs."

"You need to. That's where baby moms work. I met her up there after I dropped hundreds on her ass. She finally let me in that good pussy and now she 'bout to drop my seed," he said as if he was proud of this.

"Is that the only thing important to you?

"What?"

"Making babies by these randoms?"

"Huh? I know you ain't talking."

"How many crumb snatchers you have already?"

"Six. I have six babies, five baby mommas, but I takes care of mine," he said. "Shit! If it was not for legalized abortions, I woulda had eleven babies now, with two on the way. But a brother be up in Planned Parenthood like a mofo...and don't trip, I know your ass been up there with a couple of breezys."

He could not lie, he had used Planned Parenthood to take care of some situations in his past. But he was not about that life anymore. He was keeping it strapped till he decided he was ready to settle down and make a family with someone he could spend the rest of his life with.

"How are you taking care of all these kids when you ain't even got a job man?"

"What you mean I ain't got a job? You know what it is I do," he said, pulling out a wad of money.