Chapter 17

She missed her place. She was ready to go back to her home. The locks were changed, better security and either Hook or Jared was always with her.

Hook's place was, small, unorganized...cheap. She knew he did not have money like her, but she was just used to nice things all her life. When she offered to redecorate he went on and on about her using her money for something dumb. Nice furniture and carpets with no stains weren't dumb.

So if he wanted to stay her bodyguard, it would be better if they were at her place.

"Can't," he simply said.

She waited for him to say something else. Hook was a simple man, but sometimes a response needed more than a simple word.

"Can't or won't? You can't just give me a one-word answer and think the discussion is over."

"I can't leave, my girls are coming this weekend."

Angel jumped out of the bed.

"What?" It was Thursday, when was he going to tell her he had his crumb snatchers? Now she knew it was time for her to go.

"I get them every other weekend, you know that."

"Uh..." She could not think of a thing to say. No, she did not need to meet them. No, she did not want to be in the same place as them. What the hell was he thinking?

"It's cool babe, they have the bedroom across the hall."

That little room was barely a bedroom. More like her walk-in closet. It barely fit the twin-sized bunk beds and a dresser. He had two girls. How the heck did they both sleep in there?

"Ok, I'll be at my place." She gathered her things around the room. She had gotten too comfortable being with him. This was getting real. She was developing feelings for this man and there was no way she could be with him.

"What do you mean?" he asked, sitting up in the bed. "Angel, where do you think you're going? You can't be at your place all alone."

"Fine, if you're so afraid for me, I'll stay with Jared or Shay...or even get a hotel room."

"I told you to stay here as long as needed."

"And how long is that? Until the divorce is final? He's contesting it! It could drag on for who knows how long. I just want this to be over."

She began to cry. Hook got out of bed and held her in his arms.

"I want you to meet my girls, I mean, if you want, no pressure. I thought we made it past the just fuck buddies stage of this relationship," he stated, rubbing her back. "I just want to protect you. I know you're scared and don't want to talk about it. I got you."

This was so messed up. She really liked Hook. She liked being with him. She liked that he cared more about her than she cared about him did right now. She just wasn't ready to go all-in with this man.

The next day she was introduced to Ravyn and Symone. Ravyn was twelve but looked twenty-one. She had a grown woman body, a grown woman attitude, and grown woman issues with jealousy over her father soon as she saw Angel. Symone was nine and bubbly and playful and never shut up her face. She talked the moment she walked in and Angel was sure there would not be a quiet moment all weekend.

"Girls, this is Angel. She's gonna be here this weekend and I want you to get to know her. Angel, this is Ravyn, the monster, and Symone my little princess."

"Daddy has a girlfriend? Dad, she's pretty. Ooh, I like your hair. Is that all your hair or a weave? My mom wears a lace front, but she ain't got no hair for real. I mean, like a little I guess. Is that a wig? Can I wear it?" Symone went on, trying to jump up and pull on Angel's hair.