Chapter 10: birthday celebration

Lin's POV:
It was Lucy's twelfth birthday today, and the first she'd be celebrating with us as her family. I was excited to say the least. That was an understatement. I was absolutely hyper for this. Knowing how happy we could make Lucy today, that was something I always wanted to do but especially today. After all one should be happy on their birthday right? That's what I always thought anyways. I had gotten a head start on preparations, Vanessa was at work still but I knew she wouldn't mind. I wouldn't do anything major yet as I knew she wanted to be a part of it too. Checking the time I saw it was near when Lucy would be home from school. I had a special surprise for her, we all did. Our plan was to throw a surprise party. We would act like we don't know its Lucy's birthday then surprise her. This would be especially hard for me due to how happy I was at celebrating with Lucy but I promised to play along.
~beginning of the plan~
Lucy's POV:
It was my birthday, I was excited, to finally be spending it with a family I loved, with people I loved. Little did I know they'd be surprising me. Of course that was the point of a surprise right?? Anyways I walked into the Rodgers to meet up with dad and the cast after school. School was finished now and the Rodgers wasn't a far walk and it was nice out. So I told dad I could just walk, it took lots of reassurance but he finally gave in. I know its cause he cares. That he would rather he pick me up so he can make sure I'm safe, I really admire that. Anyways as I walk in I'm perplexed that no one seems to know it's my special day. They either say its a Saturday or October 10th, this makes me slightly sad. Shouldn't they know? No doubt a very hyper Lin told them right? With a frown I walk to dad's dressing room to chill there awhile. Clear my head and just rest, I sat on the mini sofa and took out my sketchbook as I began doodling random stuff. I nibbled on a snackbar from my bag cause I was hungry, my head perked up when I saw dad walk in "hey nina, how was school?" He asked as he sat down with me. He seemed itchy, not literally but like something was up and he was struggling to keep it a secret. He gets antsy when this happens and he starts fidgeting. He's pretty easy to read but he's an awesome dad and person. I'm so lucky to have him in my life keeping me safe, with him I finally felt loved and that I matter. I look at him and smile "it was school, uneventful luckily" I say gently. This was good honestly cause schools these days had a lot of struggles that made things mildly unpleasant at times. Lin nodded softly, he seemed about to burst "happy birthday mija" he said with a dorky grin. As long as only he said it the surprise was safe. I laugh and smile "thanks dad" I said and hugged him happily. We stayed like this a good few minutes before he scooped me up "I know you feel bummed people forgot, but this will be the best birthday of your life I promise" he grins with a mischievous look in his eyes as he ran carrying me, he was gentle obviously so as not to jostle me. He held me tight and securely so I'd know I was safe. This reassured me a lot, it felt good.
Lin's POV:
As I carried Lucy to where the surprise was I saw how happy and content she was which relieved me. She'd been through so much trauma, I wanted to help her, this would make her smile I was sure of it. The cast, Vanessa, and Sebastian and Fransisco would all be waiting in the meeting room that was now decked out in birthday stuff. I grinned "no peeking nina" I say covering her eyes as I carried her into the room. When I had lowered my hands, everyone shouted "SURPRISE!"
I smile as I saw a shocked and happy squeaking Lucy, I kissed the top of her head and set her down as she hugged me tight then went to hug everyone else that was there. I saw her laughing and talking with Chris, Pippa, Jasmine, Jon, Johnathan, Leslie, Anthony, and everyone else. They all were so kind and welcoming to her, it warmed my heart. I knew that should anything happen to me that Lucy would have loving people in her life which reassured me. Of course I pray nothing happens to me but fate isn't always kind. Why am I thinking like this? Anyways let's continue the part. I walked over to join them, putting a kind hand on Lucy's shoulder as I stayed beside her. I could tell we had done it, Lucy's first birthday with us had gone well, she looked so happy and cheerful. She was enjoying this, "best birthday ever" she smiled brightly. Gifts were given and cake and pizza eaten. The party continued till it was showtime that night. As I got dressed I finished and looked to Lucy smiling "i love you mija" I smile. Lucy smiles "love you too dad" she grinned and hugged me gently and carefully of my outfit before letting me go so I could get to my cue. I ruffled her hair gently and headed out for the opening song. I was ready for this, my excitement through the roof after Lucy's party had gone so well.