Prologue

Class couldn't go any quicker...

Time seemed to slow down whenever English or Math or Physics came into the equation. My brain would turn off almost instantly whenever my teachers would begin their lecture. They were so mind - numbingly boring! My mind would always be wander toward the window, my half asleep orbs looking toward the tall, oak tree by the window, watching as birds would come and perch on the little branches, sing a small inaudible song before fluttering away. I couldn't be bothered to listen to my teacher drone on about finding a root of an equation.

I had better things to do! I didn't even need this class for the job I wanna do! Why is class so boring?

My eyes slowly wander toward the clock pinned at the front of the classroom, resting my chin on my hand lazily as I calibrate what the time is in my head. Gently tapping my fingernails on the table as I count the minutes left. Only five minutes to go. The teachers words began merging together as I huff through my nose, rolling my eyes as I begin to slide my pens, highlighters and ruler into my pencil case. Completely ignoring the homework being set, knowing that I'll just google it at home or copy the answers off my friend when she completes it.

I just wanted to go home. Be on my own and away from everyone and everything. Forget about the exams and the schoolwork and the homework and the revision. Just go home and relax. Go home, get away from this hellhole and never return until my friend dragged me back in the morning by my hair.

Today just wasn't my day...

As the bell rings, I instantly shove my pencil case into my bag and dart out of the classroom. Bidding the teacher a quick 'thank you' and 'have a good evening' before swerving through the halls to my locker. Muttering quick apologies to whoever I hit with my brick of a bag, fumbling through the abyss that was my school bag to grab my phone while I quickly punch in the code to unlock my locker. Quickly turning the knob to push it wide open, my hands shooting out to grab the books that spill from the top shelf. My locker aching for space as it was full to the brim of books, notepads and revision books, flash cards pinned to the inside of my locker door.

Sighing gently, I push my books back onto the top shelf and hang my bag onto the hook inside the locker. Sliding a strand of hair behind my ear, taking a deep breath to collect myself, as I begin pulling out revision guides, checking each of the covers for the right one. Focused on getting my revision guide for Math so I could study at home. Already making myself a plan of action, mentally reminding myself to make sure I remember my gel pens for school tomorrow.

Until a red feather slices across my hands making me shriek and drop the books, letting them clatter to the floor in an mess. Books integrating with each other, crumpling and folding. My bookmarks slipping out of the marked pages for tonight's study session. Post it notes ripping and crumpling on the floor... Ruined. A small gasp leaves my lips as I kneel down and gently pull the books away from the floor, checking them over and internally screaming at the creased pages and the bent spine.

My eyes flitting toward my tormentor, who sends me a teasing smirk. My mouth running dry. My hands growing clammy as my back suddenly feels numb. The hairs on my back standing on end as I gather the books into my chest and hold them tightly to it. My lips straightening to a thin line as I look down at the floor. His shoes clicking against the floor as he walks toward my small form. My wings threatening to shoot from my back and curl around my form.

I couldn't let them see my wings...

Two girls stood behind him. One on each arm. Their eyes full of adoration when they look toward him before souring into disgust when they lay their vision upon me. Sending me evil smiles as they run their fingers over his bare muscular arms. His piercing yellow eyes gleaming in a playful light as he grins my way.