Chapter Two ~ Tu Es Unique

I am, as the French say, 'unique' (I mean, it's the exact same word in English, but it just sounds fancier like that, doesn't it?).

This fact came to the forefront at dinner tonight. It's our (meaning Narcissa and I's) last night at home before we head back to Hogwarts, and so we, as per usual, sat down and enjoyed a nice family dinner.

Here is how it went:

---------------------------------------------------

"Now girls! Are you excited to be going back to Hogwarts tomorrow?" Mummy asks, taking a bite of her beef bagignon at the same time.

Cissy and I nod, beginning to eat our food ourselves. "It is most lucky that we managed to get you home! It's very rare that children are allowed home at Halloween, but down to the fact that we are Blacks, they made an exception!" Father says, with the air of someone who is very proud of this fact.

Cissy and I murmur our agreement, and the whole table sits in subdued silence for a few moments before to usual wedding talk begins.

Bella and Rodolphus Lestrange (her fiancé) have set a date for the wedding: December 27th. Unfortunately for me (and Cissy) however, due to the large amount of guests staying at our mansion every room has been taken, including mine, as well as Narcissa's. This means that we aren't able to come home for Christmas, which is very sad, but Father says that there will be a Floo Network set up at Hogwarts just so that Cissy and I can travel to the wedding and then back to school again without too much hassle.

Surprisingly enough, the wedding talk doesn't last as long as usual, and this is down to one thing in particular...

"Master Black! Here - the man at the door told me to give you this!" and out of breath house elf says, gasping for air. "Did you investigate this parcel?" my father harshly inquires, and the young cowering house elf nods.

"Yes! Oh yes, sir! Dobby most certainly did sir!" he says, with a low bow. "It was the dark haired gentleman sir!".

"Ah!" Father says, excusing the house elf rudely and clapping his hands together in delight. I glance at the house elf as he leaves, and it upsets me to see his downcast manner.

This is the way that my family treat all house elves, and this is one of the many things that tells me that I am different. I am the only one who believe that house elves have rights, though I would never dare voice that opinion.

Looking down at the parcel, my father eagerly rips of the packaging and opens it up. In it is a small pile of gold, as well as a note.

All of us look at the parcel, anxious to find out what it is. I try to get a look at the note, but Father folds it up into his pocket secretively before I can get a good look at it. In the little glance that I got, I saw a very fancy, elegant cursive handwriting, and it seemed to be saying thanks for something.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think that I really want to know what for!