Chapter Nine ~ Je Te Veux

I spend Friday 23rd December just trying to get all of my homework done, and that is quite a task considering the amount we were set over the holidays!

I meet up with Ted after lunch, as we both leave the Great Hall at the same time.

"Are you excited about Slughorn's Christmas party?" he asks me as we walk together, heading towards the library.

With a slight inclination of my head, I reply, "Sort of! I mean, I've been before, but I think that it'll be better this year.".

"Ah! I see! So it's quite formal then?" he asks, and I nod vigorously.

"Oh yes! Fancy dress all around!" I reply, and he grins.

"So what would be the most formal way to ask you to go with me?" he says, and I freeze, and stop walking.

Ted stops as well and positions himself so that he is facing me.

"Will you go to Slughorn's party with me, Andromeda?" he asks, and I nod, smiling.

"Yes!" I reply, overjoyed.

"That's...great!" Ted says, and we both grin like complete numpties as we continue walking down this corridor.

After a long silence though, I get to thinking, and my happiness begins to fade ever so slightly.

What are we? What could we be? Does he return my feeling? How could anything happen between us?

"Ted, I...what are we?" I ask, deciding in the moment that it is better to just get everything out in the open.

"Honestly 'Dromeda, I don't know. But I...I really, really like you Andromeda. I want to be with you.  But I know that it's not possible." he replies, stopping once again.

"Oh Ted, I really like you too. I want to be with you so badly but I...I really don't know how. What could we be? What would we be?".

He takes my hand in his, enclosing the two of his hands over my small ones.

"We'll make this work Andromeda. We can...somehow." he says earnestly, but I shake my head.

"I don't know how. I really don't. I'm a Black, and they'll kill me. I don't know what to do!" I say, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks.

Ted doesn't reply, he just pulls me into his arms. "Shhh...'Dromeda. It's ok. I'll be ok. I won't be the person to put you in danger." he whispers in my ear before letting me go.

He wipes my tears away with his calloused fingers, and gently tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"We'll go to the party tomorrow, as friends, like we were before." Ted says, and I laugh an empty laugh, "Were we ever just friends?".

"True." he agrees, and then a melancholy silence falls between us.

"No! This is not how it will be!" I say defiantly, and I kiss him.