Chapter Six ~ Meilleurs Amis

The weeks leading up to Christmas all begin to flow into each other.

Snow begins to powder the grounds of Hogwarts, giving the castle the happy, cheery atmosphere associated with Christmas.

Hagrid brings up the Christmas trees that surround the Great Hall in mid-December, and Ogg (the caretaker) begins to pull up some lights and decorations.

Old Ogg is retiring this year. He's worked at Hogwarts for goodness knows how long, and really deserves a break.

I'd guess that he is nearing 80 or 90, so the time for him to retire is well overdue.

The last couple of weeks have also brought me immense happiness. I'm practically glowing! Here's why...

--------------------------------------------------

"Hey 'Dromeda!" Ted Tonks says, running up to me as I walk around the grounds. "Hey Ted!" I say, a grin automatically appearing on my face, just as it always does when I see him.

"Have you done the Potions homework?" he asks, falling into stride with me. "No, not yet! I was planning to do it tonight!" I say, and Ted smiles, almost nervously.

"That's...great! I...ummmm...do you want to do it together?" he asks, not meeting my eyes.

Like a study date? I mean, he probably just means it as friends...but still!

"Sure!" I say, grinning at him. "Great! I have to go to Quidditch practice! I guess I'll see you tonight? In the library?" he says, unwrapping the Hufflepuff scarf from around his neck.

"Sure!" I reply, too happy to say anything else. "See you, 'Dromeda!" Ted says as he dashes off down the hill leading to the Quidditch changing rooms.

Later that same night, I make my way to the library. "'Evening!" Ted greets me as I take my seat opposite him. We sit on one of the small circular tables in the quietest corner of the library.

I pull out my Potions book and the homework sheet of parchment that has fifteen questions on them.

Slughorn said that he'll be testing us on our general knowledge next week, and set us this as homework to brush up on it.

"Ok! Question 1; What would you get if you added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" I say quietly, and Ted looks it up in his textbook.

"Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death." Ted recites, and we both scribble the answer down.

"Question 2; Where would you look if you needed to find a bezoar?" Ted asks, and I recite this boy of knowledge off the top of my head.

"A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat.". We both write the answer down and continue...

"Question 7; what does a bezoar do?".

"It can save you from most poisons!".

"Question 13; What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?".

"They are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite! There is no difference.".

Together, we finished the homework in no time at all, and it's only around 8 pm by the time we finish.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" I ask Ted, eager to spend more time with him, in a friendly way, of course.

"Sounds good!" he says cheerfully, and we take a nice walk around the castle as it is far too cold to go outside.

"The decorations are just beautiful aren't they?" I ask, admiring the silvery tinsel that lines the ceiling of the Great Hall.

"Stunning." Ted agrees quietly, and I meet his eyes.

They are smiling at me, as cheerful as ever.

We walk in a comfortable silence back to our common room, with me leaving him at the entrance to the Dungeons.

"Well...good night, Andromeda!" Ted says, beginning to move in the direction of his common room.

"Good night Ted." I murmur, almost silently, at his retreating back, before heading into my own common room and straight up to bed.

Well, I'm pretty certain you can guess who my dreams were filled with!