Chapter 57: Bittersweet Birthday

*Song: She's Always A Women by Billy Joel*

I roll over and open my eyes, looking at the sleeping Harry in front of me. I get up, brush my teeth, and walk out onto the balcony of Harry's room in his Malibu house. Today is my birthday and honestly I don't feel any different than I did yesterday. Twenty four isn't a big deal anyway. Harry's house overlooks the ocean and it's beautiful, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I've obviously never been to California, I never even left Boston until college. But California is definitely nice. I wish we could spend more time here, maybe in the future.

I'm taken out of my thoughts when I feel two arms wrap around my waist from behind. I smile at the feeling and he rests his chin on my shoulder, kissing it as we both stare out at the ocean.

"Happy Birthday, baby," he mumbles.

"Thank you," I say, leaning my head into his.

"Come with me," he says as I turn towards him, grabbing his hand.

He brings me into the kitchen and I sit down at the counter as he goes into the cabinet, still shirtless, getting pancake mix out. He also grabs chocolate chips and he walks over to the counter, standing across from me. I watch as he begins to make pancakes. We share glances in between him making the pancakes and he smirks. He turns around so his back is facing me. I try to peek around to see what he is doing.

"Hey, no peeking!" he laughs.

A few minutes later he turns around with a stack of three pancakes with pink candles stuck in them. He starts singing happy birthday to me, giggling. My cheeks warm up and I cover my face with my hands. He sets the pancakes down in front of me and takes my hands off my face. I've always had this problem with getting embarrassed when people sing happy birthday to me. I blow out the candles, not making a wish because I already have everything I could ever want. He then kisses my cheek and sits next to me.

"What are we doing today?" I ask.

"You tell me, it's your birthday," he says, looking over at me.

"I don't know what I want to do. Can you help me figure it out?" I ask, indecisively.

"I have a few ideas up my sleeve but we are going to have to get ready first," he says.

"Okay then let's go," I say and he gets up, picking me up, throwing me over his shoulder. "Why do you always do this?" He laughs.

"You shouldn't have to walk on your birthday," he says and I giggle.

"What are your excuses for the other times?" I say as he begins to walk up the stairs.

"You just shouldn't have to walk in general I guess," he says, plopping me on the bed, leaning down to kiss me. He then gets up and walks into the bathroom, closing the door.

I stay in my laying down position on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I put some music on my phone and continue to stare.

"She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes. And she can ruin your faith with her casual lies. And she only reveals what she wants you to see. She hides like a child but she's always a woman to me. She can lead you to love, she can take you or leave you. She can ask for the truth but she'll never believe you. And she'll take what you give her as long as it's free."

I can't believe that Harry leaves tomorrow. I can't believe the time has come. I don't want him to go but I have to keep telling myself that this is what's best. This is the most bittersweet birthday I think I've ever had. I hear the bathroom door open and Harry walks out with wet hair in jeans and a sweater. He sees me still laying in the same spot he left me and he comes to lay down next to me.