thirteen.

——————————————————————————————————

J O N G H O

"mom, i'll be okay. please don't worry." i reassured my worried mom from the other line. i understand her worrying since i came home to seoul alone, leaving her behind at states. "i'm sorry for leaving without telling you." i added with an apology.

"your father was involved in a lot of dangerous cases, we left seoul to have a peaceful life. i just don't want you to be in danger." the worry was very audible in her tone of speaking. "please come home."

keeping my eyes on the road, i slowed down my speed as i approach the intersection. the light was red so i stepped on the breaks. "mom, i'm home. this city is my home. and i think father's death wasn't just an accident."

father died because of an 'accident'. he rode the taxi on the way home but when they reached an intersection, a black car with a blank plate collided with the taxi father was in. there were cctv footages of the crash but it looks like it was manipulated. the driver also managed to escape from the crash, alive.

i found out all about this when a friend of father's (who's also a detective), came over at our house in states. he got drunk and he was all by himself at the backyard. i was told to give him a few snacks to eat with so i did.

he bragged about how cool and great my father was, he told me that he was an undercover, a spy, he was like the cool star from the movies. he felt upset to lose such a great friend, while i was upset to lose a loving father at a young age.

honk! loud beeping noises interrupted my short flashbacks. i noticed the light was already green so i hung up on mom and drove. i panicked for a short moment but i managed to calm down as soon as i passed the intersection.

driving slowly, my eyes wandered on the unfamiliar buildings around me. the city quite changed since i left. a familiar tall building painted in all black caught my eye. bending over to the steering wheel, my jaw dropped at how tall the buildings were.

there are three to four tall buildings and they occupy a huge space of land, it looks so nice and luxurious to work there. "waaaaah~" i was fascinated at its architecture so i pulled over and walked to the open space near the buildings.

and as i expected, it felt nostalgic to stand there and watch the tall buildings. workers in formal clothes enter and exit the building with rushed footsteps, i knew that i stood and i saw this building before with someone.

- f l a s h b a c k -

a big hand grabbed my tiny ones as we walked in the streets of seoul. the parent holding my hand made sure to never lose me in the crowd of tall people.

while walking, he spoke. "you're doing great in school nowadays, should i give you a reward?" the question made my eyes double in size and a huge smile crept up on my face. "yes!" i beamed happily.

he laughed and smiled. "well what do you want? a—" he suddenly paused as soon as we came across a tall building. he grabbed my hand a little tighter and took me to closer to the building.

we stood near the entrance and he looked serious as he stared at the entrance. meanwhile, the childish young me was terrified of how tall it looked, it was not just a building, it's a skyscraper.