40th Verse

For the words left unsaid, for the actions left undone, and for the life ahead of us, I prayed to God every single night for our time to suffice.

As I get enveloped with your warmth, and held your sleeping form in my arms, I kept thinking what if tonight would be the last time I'd be this close to you?

Would that be enough?

Would I ever be ready to willingly let you go?

I knew every single part of you. Your voice. Your tone. Your tears.

And I knew your apology wasn't for leaving me five years ago. Because I recognized that voice. You would leave again. But this time, you're seeking for my approval, asking me to let you go.

Your sorry was your way of saying goodbye.

As much as I wanted to keep you within my reach, I didn't wanna hold you back against your will.

I needed to prepare myself for what was about to come. No matter which path you choose to take, I would accept it, and support you wholeheartedly. Even if it's not with me.

But tonight I wanted to forget about the future. Tonight, it was just the two of us. Tonight, I would pretend you're mine.

And this memory was enough to last for a lifetime.

"Mommy, what are we doing here?" I heard Chase asked Jules behind me as we walked to the empty lot of my property for the groundbreaking ceremony during a humid Thursday morning.

Jules answered him and explained our agenda for today in ways he would understand.

When Chase asked if they would live here with me, Jules simply said, "Mommy has a work in Seoul and you will start school next year. We can visit Daddy every summer or every Christmas."

That answer made my heart constrict.

She already made up her mind.

Calli stirred from her sleep in my arms. After yawning, she fell back asleep again.

I wanted to hold my daughter every day like this. I wanted to play music with my son every day.

And I wanted to be with their mother for the rest of my life.

"Architect Melendez, Engr. Legazpi, good morning! The ceremony is about to start in a few minutes po." The organizer greeted as we reached the tent beside the made up stage.

I gave him a slight nod of acknowledgement. "Good morning. Is everyone here already?" I asked.

"Yes, sir. And we already informed the securty guards of the residential village to not let the media inside the compound."

"That's great. Thank you."

I only invited my parents and some friends for this private gathering. Today marked the first day of construction of the house we're about to build. I thought I was going be happy when this day finally arrive but now that I was here I was dreading every single movement of the clock.

Because the construction was only going to take seven months. That would mean I only have seven months before Jules leaves again.

Seven months to prove I was worthy of her.

The ceremony started and I gave a short thank you speech for everyone which turned out to be awkward. My mother laughed when she heard me stutter as I speak.

I could see Jules trying to control her laugh too.

Great.

If she only knew my nervousness had something to do with her plans of coming back to Seoul, she wouldn't be laughing.