42nd Verse

Over our shattered innocence was a little kid crumpled on the ground, weeping uncontrollably, unable to utter a single word, afraid of the monsters lurking around the corner.

The kid who was once a delightful child grew up knowing how harsh the world could be.

The eyes who used to distinguish the hues of the rainbows became monochromatic.

But despite the tragedy he went through, the kid grew up strong and caring. And he vowed to protect the people who mattered to him.

Now that everything seemed to be toppling over, would the kid be able to hold on to that vow?

I was wrong to think that we can leave the past behind us. That if I refuse to think about it, it would suddenly cease to exist. A delusion it was.

Sitting on the couch, a bottle of whiskey half drowned, staring ahead like a madman, I waited for the monster to arrive. I knew he would come for us, whoever he was. I had to stay awake and wait. And wait. And wait for the elevator door to open and reveal the ghost I was afraid of.

I didn't want to be unprepared once he steps in my place.

"Arch, let's go to bed. You have to stop drinking. Come on." An angel's voice echoed. I could feel its presence beside me, lightly touching my hand, pulling me up.

Her hand went up my face, caressing my cheek delicately. "Arch, halika na. Nagaalala na ako sa 'yo. Matulog na tayo." She said worriedly, trying to get me to stand up.

But I didn't want her to take me away. I needed to stay awake.

"I can't..." I whispered, taking another shot of whiskey like it was water.

The angel's soft hand touched my cheek again. Its tenderness felt like a cloud against my skin. Was I in Heaven already?

"Why? Tell me what's wrong? Why are you drinking so much?" She asked with a concerned frown. "If... if it's because of the news about the kidnapping, don't worry about me, they can't hurt me anymore. I can take whatever they throw at me. But... I can't stand seeing you like this, I'm hurting when you're hurting like this, Arch."

She was right. This wasn't me.

But I was on the verge of falling apart. I thought I was stable but turned out I wasn't. Just the news about the Mr. Alverez' death shook my sanity. And now I was a mess. I didn't know what to do.

I was scared for my family.

But at least I had her right beside me.

Her eyes shimmered with unshed tears. And the way they gaze at me penetrated my soul. "Archer... you don't have to be afraid. I'm okay. The kids are okay. May mga bodyguards na tayo dito sa loob ng unit. No one could touch us. Please, Arch, come back to me." Her voice was like a soft hum. A gentle sound of a harp against the still wind of the room.

Ah, that sounded so much like my Ellie. My sweet, loving Ellie.

"Ellie?" I called out, fighting the haziness of my eyes. I thought the whiskey would keep me awake but now my mind was spinning. I wasn't sure if I was drunk or if it was because of my tears but the image before my eyes was foggy. A blur.

I could only see the outline of my angel, my Ellie.

My one and only Jules.

She wiped the tears rolling down my eyes as a sudden sob broke out from her. "Yes, I'm here. I'm here." She said, cradling my head against her chest.

The tears streaming down my eyes kept flowing and flowing. They weren't stopping just like the rivers of cries in her eyes.

It was like I was sixteen again. In her arms, I was myself again.