43rd Verse

And just like my solitariness ended in a flash. How did she know I was here?

I carefully watched her as I sat up when she reached me. She slowly crouched down beside me on the ground, facing the city lights. A glum expression on her beautiful face was evident, her loose hair being blown by the wind.

Biting her lip to suppress her sighs, she spoke. "Hindi kita matawagan, naka-off 'yung phone mo. I thought something bad happened to you. I was worried." She said with a creaking voice, avoiding my gaze.

I fell silent, throwing small rocks on the cliff to keep myself distracted. The rustling wind was the only sound we could hear.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have ignored your calls." I said. "I shouldn't have made you worry."

"You've been gone for how many hours after your interview, Arch!"

"Jules..."

"Alam ko naman na kailangan mo rin ng oras para sa sarili mo pero... nagaalala ako. Akala ko may masama nang nangyari sa 'yo."

Turning her head to finally face me, she said, "kung saan saan kita hinanap. I went to your parents' house, kay Max pati na rin kanila Collin. Tinawagan ko na lahat ng pwede kong tawagan pero hindi rin nila alam kung nasaan ka. I can't even reach your bodyguards kasi I don't have their numbers. Sobrang nagaalala ako I thought... I thought..." She blew a frustrated breathe and covered her face with her palms. "Why did you disappear like that?" She asked, her voice breaking.

I swallowed a lump in my throat, jaws tensing. Now she knew what it felt like. Not that I was purposely trying to hurt her. "You disappeared from me too." It came out bitterly and more forceful than I intended to.

Taken aback with my response, she gaped at me, mouth hanging open. She stared at me with wide eyes without blinking then smiled sadly when she recovered. "We're finally addressing the elephant in the room, huh?" She asked in gruff tone, eyes turning glassy.

I looked away. We're here already. There was no turning back. "We should've done it the moment we met again."

"I know." Nodding, she said with a soft voice. "I just wish I could pretend that everything's okay between us. But it's... not. Hanggang ngayon niloloko ko pa rin 'yung sarili ko. But this time I'm conscious of it."

Pressing my head between my knees as I breathed out, I asked, "why?"

"Do I like to pretend?" She asked, trying to finish my vague question.

Still not looking at her, because I couldn't do it without loosing my strength, I dropped the question I had been dying to ask. "No. Why... did you decide to leave?"

Silence stretched for a good full minute before she spoke again. "Because I was a coward and I've been causing you too much pain."

That made my head snap at her direction. "Did you really think it would hurt less if you leave?"

"Alam kong masasaktan ka pero alam ko rin na makakalimutan mo rin ako." Her voice hitched as her face got wet from her own tears. I wanted to pull her in my arms but I refused to. I was weak when it came to her.

"Did I?" I asked bitterly. How could she even think that I would easily forget her?

"You should have."

"I can't, Jules. I can't. You're not an easy woman to forget. Kahit anong gawin ko, hindi ko magawa. I tried so damn hard."