Chapter 2: Parlay

As soon as Jack, Will, and I were rowing inside the cave, Jack caught me up on everything that had happened since he arrived to Port Royal, including how he met Will.

"What Code is Gibbs to keep to if the worst should happen?" Will inquired. 

"Pirate's Code." I replied.

"Any man that falls behind is left behind." Jack explained.

"No heroes amongst thieves, eh?" Will asked.

"You know, for having such a bleak outlook on pirates you're well on your way to becoming one. Sprung a man from jail, commandeered a ship of the Fleet, sailed with a buccaneer crew out of Tortuga." Jack pointed out as he continued towing the boat. "And you're completely obsessed with treasure."

Once we reached the shore, we climbed out of the boat, making our way further into the cave. No doubt we were close to Barbossa and his men. 

"That's not true. I am not obsessed with treasure." Will shot back.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." Jack retorted.

"He's right." I agreed.

No doubt that Will was in love with this Elizabeth woman, who Barbossa and his crew took from Port Royal. Once we reached the heart of the cave, we saw Barbossa and his crew surrounding the treasure. Next to the chest stood the woman, who was most likely Elizabeth. We hid behind a giant rock to avoid being seen by anyone.

"Gentlemen, the time has come! Our salvation is nigh!" Barbossa exclaimed. "Our torment is near at end."

"Elizabeth." Will gasped.

"For ten years we've been tested and tried, and each man, jack of you here has proved his mettle a hundred times over and a hundred times again!" Barbossa continued. 

The men cheered. One of Barbossa's crew members named Ragetti blurted out. "Suffered, I have."

"Punished, we were. The lot of us, disproportionate to our crimes! Here it is..." Barbossa said as he kicked the chest's lid to the ground. "...the cursed treasure of Cortes himself. Every last piece that went astray, we have returned, save for this." 

He then pointed to the medallion around Elizabeth's neck. The entire crew cheered at his words. Will then scrambled up in an attempt to run towards Elizabeth. However, Jack quickly pulled him down. "Not yet. We wait for the opportune moment."

"And when would that be?" I questioned.

Instead of answering me, Jack left the rock and we followed him as we heard Barbossa's voice echo throughout the cave. "881 we found but despaired of ever finding the last."

"When it's of greatest profit to you?" Will asked.

"May I ask you something? Have I ever given you reason not to trust me? Do us a favor? I know it's difficult for you, but please stay here and try not to do anything stupid." Jack ordered.

"And what about me?" I inquired.

"Watch over him. Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." Jack urged.

With that, he walked off, leaving me along with Will. Will then turned to face me with a troubled look on his face. "He's going to use me as leverage, isn't he?"

My eyes widened. How did he find that out? I tried to mask my reaction the best I could as I replied. "No, no, he won't dare to do such a thing." 

Will gave me a look, indicating that he didn't believe me. I let out a sigh. "...Aye, he is."

Will clenched his fists before storming after my brother. "Jack..."

Afraid of what he'd do, I ran after Will. By the time I reached him, Will grabbed an oar, hitting the back of Jack's head. "Sorry, Jack. I'm not going to be your leverage."