Chapter 10: The Heart Of Davy Jones

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Cap'n?!" 

I woke up startled by the sudden noise. I glanced around, noticing I had fallen asleep at my desk again. Remembering that someone wished to speak to me, I spoke up. "Come in." 

The door then opened, revealing Elizabeth, which baffled me. I was expecting someone in my crew to walk in, not Elizabeth. I furrowed my brows. "Elizabeth?"

"Cordelia, what's wrong?" She asked. 

"What do you mean?" I questioned. 

"James said you're acting different. He's wondering if he said something wrong, which he's very sorry for." Elizabeth informed me. 

"It's not something that he needs to know." I retorted. 

"Is it truly something that doesn't need to know or is it something that you don't want to share?" She inquired.

I hesitated as I turned my back against her. "...Elizabeth, there are parts of my life that I wish to forget and never bring up." 

"But if you speak about it, then you can heal from whatever damage you've faced in the past." She pointed out. 

I was taken back by her words. Who said I was damaged? Could she see through me? Was I an open book? I turned away from her as I pushed back the urge to speak to someone of my past. No one but Jack knew of my past and I wanted it to stay that way. But my mind wandered to James. My heart clenched. I cared for James very much, so much that I wondered if what I felt for him was love, something I swore never to feel again.

"It's all right if you won't tell me. But James deserves to know, Cordelia. He cares about you very much." She argued. "I believe he even lo-"

I cut her off at once. "Don't say that word. Don't say something that isn't true."

"Cordelia, I know James very well. He's a good man." She assured me. "And if you let him in your heart, I'm sure you won't regret it."

I whipped around to face her at once with tears threatening to fall from my sad blue eyes. "I regret it falling in love the first time! I won't make the same mistake, Elizabeth. I can't..."

"So that what's hurting you." She pointed out. 

"Please Elizabeth, leave me. I wish to be alone." I urged. 

"I will, but please consider telling James. He is truly worried for you." She insisted. 

With that, she walked out of my quarters, closing the door behind her, leaving me alone. 

••• 

Days went by and I remained in my quarters, Tal had to come in frequently to give me food and ask for my latest order. Currently, I was studying a map of Greece, when I heard a knock on my door. It must be Tal, bringing my dinner. 

"Come in!" I shouted out. 

The door opened, revealing James with a bowl of salted meats, biscuits, and cheese. I was taken back upon seeing him. He was the last person I expected to see.

"James!" I gasped. 

"Cordelia, I had to know how you were." He began. "I'm sorry if I said anything to offend you the other day. Please Cordelia, I wish to help you." 

Perhaps Elizabeth was right, James is a good man, and it's about I tell him my past to heal these wounds that I've tried to bury. I let out a sigh, knowing what I had to do. I extended out a hand, pointing towards the chair that stood across from my desk and me.