Chapter 16: Choosing A Side

Once we were all aboard the Flying Dutchman, Jones approached us with his crew around him. Jones looked furious as he snapped at us. "What are you all doing on my ship?!"

"You mean my ship." Morana shot back. "Lord Beckett left me in charge."

Jones scoffed. "This is my ship, therefore I'm the Captain of this ship."

"I thought you would say that." Morana replied.

Morana then took out a sack that contained a beating heart. Jones's eyes widened in horror as he stared at the sack. "I thought the heart was in my quarters."

"It was until a certain Governor realized what the heart could do." Morana mentioned. "So I had to get rid of him."

I narrowed my eyes. "So you were the one who killed him." 

James's eyes widened upon hearing our words. "You killed him?!"

Morana shrugged. "It was absolutely necessary. It was Beckett's orders, but I insisted on being the one to silence him permanently."

I noticed James's anger rising as he clenched his fists, glaring at Morana. I slipped a hand in his as I tried to manipulate his anger, to try and calm him down. I watched as the anger diminish at once. I let out a sigh of relief. This was going to be a long and stressful journey.

•••

Days went by, and each day was more horrible. Morana humiliated me in front of James and my crew, forcing me to do chores, and calling me the worst of names. I did my best to remain strong, not giving in and going about my routine, but each day it was getting much harder. And today, things only got worse. Currently, I was scrubbing the filthy deck with a bucket and a rag, when a pair of boots approached me. I looked up to see it was James.

"We need to talk about what Beckett said after you threw yourself in front of me to face Beckett's pistol." James mentioned.

I froze at his words. I didn't think he'd remember. Reluctantly, I stood up to face him. "There's nothing to talk about..."

James scoffed. "Really? Beckett said you love me, is that true?"

There was no point in hiding how I felt about James. I risked everything just to make sure that he was safe. With this in mind, I looked into his green eyes. "Aye, I'm in love with you, James. And I don't expect you to feel the same way for me-"

James immediately cut me off. "Why would you think I don't feel the same way? I love you too, Cordelia."

My heart fluttered. I couldn't believe his words. He loves me? A smile broke out on my face. "You love me?"

James nodded. "I have since you rescued me and opened up to me about your grandmother."

Before I could say anything, Morana approached us. She had a stern look on her face as she looked at me. "Why aren't you doing your chores?"

"I'm sorry, I'll do them right now." I assured her.

"No, now you must be punished or I'll never learn." Morana retorted.

She then grabbed my arm before taking us to the crew's quarters. As she threw me onto the ground, I noticed a whip in her hand. Morana threw my coat off my back and tossed it to the side. She then raised the whip up in the air.

"This is what you get for disobeying me." Morana informed me. 

As soon as the whip hit my back, I let out a yell, feeling immense pain. The whip then hit me again, piercing my skin. Morana continued hitting me, and I did my best to not to yell out, but it became too much. I finally snapped, letting out a sob. After what felt like an eternity, Morana finally stormed off, leaving me lying on the cold wooden floor.