Chapter 11: The Kraken

I ran after Jack, Will, and James, who fought on the sand. I noticed as Jack ran off with the key in his hand, heading for the jungle. James pulled Will onto the ground before kicking sand in his face. James then gave him a mocking bow. "By your leave, Mr. Turner."

"James." I said, calling out to him.

Upon hearing me, James turned towards me. His face fell at once. The look on his face made my heart clench. Before I could say anything, he took off, running after Jack. I turned around, helping Will off from the ground.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

"Yeah, where's Elizabeth?" Will inquired.

"She's going after Pintel and Ragetti. They took the chest." I explained. "Will, stop this fighting, I'm sure we can figure out a solution to this."

"The only solution is for me to get that chest to free my father." Will replied.

Without letting me say another word, he took off. I let out a frustrated sigh before running after them, following them into the jungle. I found the three of them fighting in the ruins of a mill. As they fought on, Will grabbed the bell rope, grabbing the key from James as he went up, causing the bell to ring.

"By your leave, Mr. Norrington." Will mocked as he landed on the top level of the mill. 

James ran after him, climbing up onto the highest level. Jack and I followed them, joining them on the highest level of the mill. Will continued fighting James with the black key in his hand. Jack managed to get the key, snatching it from Will's grasp. James and Will then whipped around, facing Jack. James then managed to disarm Jack, his sword falling onto the ground. James then pointed his sword near Jack's neck. He glanced back at Will. "Do excuse me while I kill the man who ruined my life."

"Be my guest." Will replied.

"Can we talk about this?" I suggested.

"No, I wish to kill him." James argued.

"Let us examine that claim for a moment, former Commodore, shall we?" Jack asked, trying to get out of the mess he gotten himself into. "Who was it that at the very moment you had a notorious pirate safely behind bars saw fit to free said pirate and take your dearly beloved all to hisself...aye? So whose fault is it really that you've ended up a rum-pot deckhand what takes orders from pirates?"

"Enough!" James snapped.

He then swung his swords at Jack, but he managed to jump off the roof, landing on the ground without a single scratch. As James whipped around to face Will, I stepped in between the two of them to prevent Will and James from fighting any further.

"James, why are you doing this?" I questioned.

"Cordelia, I have to do this." James insisted.

"No you don't have to." I protested. "You don't have to go back to Beckett to redeem yourself."

James hesitated as he looked back and forth between Will and me. I slowly placed a hand on his cheek, forcing him to look at me. My heart melted under his intense gaze.

"You can join my crew and me. No one will look down on you, I swear on the memory of my mother." I assured him. "But please don't go to Beckett."

"I'm not a pirate, Cordelia. Nor will I ever be." He shot back. "I need to get my old life back."

I staggered back at his words. My heart shattered. James wore a look of guilty as he immediately added. "No Cordelia, I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that."

"And how did you mean it, Norrington?" I rebuked. "Apparently your life was better before me...before any of us terrible pirates came along and ruined your life. I shouldn't have rescued you from that hurricane."