Chapter 15: The Truth

"Cap'n? What does he mean?" Tal asked. 

A grin appeared on Sao Feng's face. "My apologies, Captain Teague. It slipped." 

I narrowed my eyes at him, clenching my fists. "You're lucky you're a Pirate Lord 'cause I'd kill you right were you stand, Sao Feng." 

Sao Feng chuckled. "Ah, you're still feisty as ever." 

Tal stormed over towards me. "Cap'n, we deserve an answer. What does Feng mean?"

I let out a shaky sigh. "I'm sorry, Tal. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone, I was threatened...I was left with no choice, but to make a deal with Beckett. I have to bring Jack to him."

Jack looked at me, completely taken back. My heart clenched. "I'm sorry, Jack..."

"No choice?" Tal repeated. "You had no choice? Of course you do! There's always a choice, Cordelia!"

"Tal, you don't understand-" I began. 

"What don't I understand? What I don't understand is how you're willing to sell out your brother and your own crew." Tal retorted. 

"Tal, it's only Jack that Beckett wants. Believe me I didn't want to do this, but I was left with no choice." I protested. 

But no one was listening to me and they all looked at me differently. Once we reached Beckett's ship, I took Jack onto his ship, making our way to Beckett's quarters. I dared not look at my brother, not wanting to see his look of disappointment. As soon as we reached his quarters, I found James standing by the door. My eyes widened. "James!" 

James whipped around to see me. He was baffled to see me. "Cordelia!"

I rushed over towards James. Immediately, I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him into a hug. Once I was in his embrace, I felt safe and relieved. I was happy to see him in one piece. After a few moments, we pulled away from the embrace. 

"Are you all right?" I asked. 

James nodded. "I'm fine. I'm glad to see you."

I smiled at his words. "As am I."

Jack looked back and forth at us. He then realized what was going on without any of us saying a word. Remembering Jack was here, I looked away from James and towards Jack, seeing a sad look on his face.  

"Ah, so this is what you meant by not having a choice." Jack commented. 

I grimaced. "I'm sorry, Jack. I wish I didn't have to do this, but James's life was on the line."

"I thought I told you to tell no one about our deal." A familiar voice rang out. 

I then remembered we weren't the only ones in the quarters. Beckett stood looking out his window with Morana by his side. They were inspecting the Black Pearl. I narrowed my eyes. "And I thought that meant it would stay between us, but then I find that somehow Sao Feng discovered our deal." 

"How curious." Beckett replied.

I clenched my fists, knowing he wouldn't tell me. How typical of him. Beckett then changed the subject. "Remarkable the last time I saw of that ship, she was on fire. A blackening hulk sinking beneath the waves. We had a deal, Jack. I contracted you to deliver cargo on my behalf. You chose to liberate it."

Jack began to wander around the quarter, looking through Beckett's things. No doubt he was trying to find Jones' heart. He then replied. "People aren't cargo, mate."

I watched as James looked at Jack, taken back. He knew my story, but James never knew Jack's. Beckett finally turned around to face us. "And you incurred a heavy debt to raise her again, didn't you? It's not here, Jack."