Chapter 8: Just Friends

We set out following the Black Pearl, traveling side by side. As we travelled, I hopped over to the deck of Jack's ship. I saw the entire crew, including James swabbing the desk with buckets and rags. I noticed Jack making his way towards James. Once Jack stood in front of James, James looked up, finding Jack staring down at him.

"Bit of manual labor is good for you, former Commodore." Jack mentioned. "It builds character."

"I never thought I'd see the Commodore like this." I teased. 

James narrowed his eyes at me, while Jack chuckled. Reluctantly, James cleaned Jack's boots. He then motioned over to my boots. James let out a sigh as he scrubbed my boots clean. I gave him a smile.

"Now that wasn't so hard, was it?" I questioned. 

James clenched his jaw. "Now, I see the resemblance between you and Jack."

"Well, we are siblings, mate." Jack retorted.

I shrugged off James' comment, but I couldn't forget his words. My heart clenched. Once Jack was satisfied with James's work, he turned around, noticing Elizabeth standing by the rail all alone. I trailed behind him. He then snatched some letters that Elizabeth had in her hands. Elizabeth whipped around to face him. "How dare you!"

"These letters are welcoming to go to me." Jack mentioned. He took one glance at the letters and his face fell. "Beckett."

"Yes, they're signed 'Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company.'" Elizabeth confirmed.

My stomach churned. That's not good... Jack looked closer at the letters to see the signature. Jack then sticked out his tongue in disgust. "Euhh..." 

"Will was working for Beckett and never said a word." Gibbs mentioned.

Jack nodded. "Ah." 

"Beckett wants the compass. Only one reason for that." Gibbs stated.

"Of course. He wants the chest." Jack commented.

"Yes, he did say something about a chest." Elizabeth informed us.

"If the Company controls the chest, they control the sea." I explained.

"A truly discomforting notion, love." Jack said.

"Baaad! Bad for every mother's son what calls himself pirate." Gibbs stated.

I nodded. "Aye, it's truly horrible."

"I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails." Gibbs said. He then walked off, making his way towards the sails. "Brace the foreyard!"

I walked off, leaving Elizabeth and Jack alone, returning to my ship. Once it was night, I went back to the deck of the Black Pearl. Believing there was no one on the deck, I walked over to the edge. I looked up at the sky, seeing the beautiful moon high up in the sky among the glistening stars. I then sang out. 

"Between the here, between the now.

Between the North, between the South.
Between the West, between the East.
Between the time, between the place. 

From the shell.
The song of the sea,
Neither quiet nor calm.
Searching for love again.

Mo ghrá. 

Between the winds, between the waves.
Between the sands, between the shores.

From the shell,
The song of the sea.
Neither quiet nor calm,
Searching for love again.

Between the stones, between the storms.
Between belief, between the seas.

Tá mé i dtiúin."