Chapter 5: Escaping Port Royal

The next morning, Jack and I were sent to the gallows. Jack's and my wrists were bound together with rope. There was a huge crowd gathered around us. Amongst them stood Norrington, Governor Swann, and Elizabeth. An official approached Jack and me with a piece of parchment in his hands. 

"Captain Cordelia Teague, be it known that you have committed numerous crimes against the crown." He began, reading off of the parchment. "These crimes consist of piracy, smuggling, looting, impersonating a noblewoman, arson, poaching, pilfering, impersonating a officer of the French Royal Navy, sacking and pillaging numerous ports."

I rolled my eyes. Most of those crimes I did to help the poor by taking from the nobles and wealthy merchants, not that these people cared anyways. I looked over at Governor Swann, hoping to get out of this mess. It's not fair, we helped them out.

"Governor Swann, Commodore Norrington, my brother and I helped you take down Barbossa's crew. Surely that must mean something to the both of you." I protested. "This is wrong."

"You may have helped us, Miss Teague, but you are still a pirate. No one is above the law." Governor Swann protested. 

My shoulders slumped upon hearing his words. I glanced over at Norrington, who didn't even dare look at me. The official then turned towards Jack. "Jack Sparrow, be it known that you have..."

"Captain, Captain Jack Sparrow." Jack corrected, mumbling under his breath.

"...For your willful commission of crimes against the crown. Said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith piracy, smuggling, impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England." The official continued.

Jack smiled. "Ah, yes." 

He then looked over at the executioner, who glared at him. Jack's smile then faded as he looked away. The official then rambled on. "Sailing under false colors, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity, depredation, and general lawlessness. And for these crimes you have both been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May God have mercy on your souls."

At that moment, I saw Cotton's parrot not far from us. As the executioner placed the nooses around Jack's and my neck, I spotted Will and Tal in the crowd. My eyes lit up. I watched as Will and Tal ran through the crowd, pushing to get to us. Once Tal raised his hands in the air, the sunny day quickly turned dark and clouds began to form. In a matter of seconds, lightning fell down onto Tal. Just as the executioner dropped us, Tal threw a lightning bolt at my noose, disintegrating it, causing me to fall onto the ground. 

Will then threw the sword against the wood, allowing Jack to have a foothold. As Tal and Will fought the executioner, I helped free Jack from his noose. Once he was freed, Tal, Will, Jack, and I jumped off the gallows. Unfortunately, Jack's and my hands were still tied, but we used the rope to knock out the guards that tried to catch us. As soon as reached the top of the tower, we were completely surrounded by soldiers, who pointed their weapons at us.

"Well, thanks for trying to save me." I mentioned.

"I couldn't leave you behind, knowing you were in danger." Tal commented. "And you would've done the same for any of us."

Norrington quickly rushed towards us, pointing his sword at us. Governor Swann and Elizabeth trailed behind him, reaching us as well. Norrington narrowed his eyes at Will. "I thought we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt but not from you."

"On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency. And this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with them? They are pirates!" Governor Swann exclaimed.