23

Moonbyul POV

  I sigh as soon as I open the door to my house. Living alone made me realize I'm not that good with the cleaning part, and anyone should be able to tell just by looking at the mess I live in.

  “Time to work...” I whisper, and start taking clothes off the ground.

  About three hours go by and the house seems way better than it was. There aren't any piles of clothes on the floor, the dishes were washed, the flowers were watered and the whole place was vacuumed. Good work.

  I pick up my phone and unlock it: 4 missed calls from Yongsun. That's unusual, since I'm usually the one calling her dozens of times when I'm desperate for human attention. I dial her number and she quickly picks up.

  “What’s up?” I ask, before giving her time to talk.

  There's a brief silence on the other side of the line before Solar's soft voice reaches my ears.

  “Byul, can you hear me?” She asks.
Her voice is cracking up like she's in panic.

  “Yes, Yong.” My chest starts getting heavier. “What happened?”

  “Hyejin called me, like, ten minutes ago.” She stops and I can tell she's struggling to talk. Her breathing sounds heavy. “She and Wheein had a car accident on their way to RBW.”

  “A car accident?” The panic starts to hit me too. “Are they okay?” I promptly ask.

  “Hyejin’s doing better. She's still at the hospital but she can talk and explain what happened.”

  I nod, even though she's not watching me. “What about Wheein?”

  The line gets silent again, for what felt like an eternity.

  “I-I don't know, Moon.” Yongsun starts sobbing and my heart beats at the speed of light. I lose control of my breath for seconds. “Can you come and take me to the hospital? You're almost next door and I don't think I'm okay to drive.”

  I nod again. “Of course, Yong. I'm on my way, meet me outside.”

  I don't think there's ever been a time where I picked up my stuff faster than now. My heart aches at the thought of losing one of the most important people to me. Life seems to go backwards with every step I take forward, walking to the door.

  My vision gets blurry with every millisecond, and the tears seem to have a life of their own, controlling my body as they wish. They fall to express what words cannot. The fear is so gigantic and painful that it transcends the barriers of human language, and can only show itself in the shape of water, falling down my cheeks.

  None of us are ever ready to lose a part of who we are.