26

Yongsun POV

  We make our way to Hyejin’s room. My heart races even faster at the thought of having to tell her the news.

  Ever since we all met, I always had to lean on to Moonbyul and, at first, it wasn't because I wanted to. Both of us immediately saw the connection the younger girls had: they laughed at their inside jokes, talked about old times and looked at each other like true soulmates. I felt like I could never achieve that with anyone, their eyes were meant to meet and their hearts always had the need to stay together. And it breaks my heart that things might change.

  “Don’t make a big deal out of it in front of Hyejin, okay?” Byul whispers on our way.

  I nod. “It is a big deal, though.”

  She sighs. “I know, Yong. But it's not good for her to think about the worse, without even being able to visit her.”

  I agree and stay silent, as we quickly arrive at the room. I open the door and Hyejin is lying down, looking at the window.

   Comparing her situation to Wheein’s, she's doing great. No major problems, just a few scratches here and there and a broken finger on her left hand.

  “Hyejin-ah” Byul walks to her and I follow. “How are you doing?”

  The youngest turns her face to us and a smile is shown.

  “Hi” She says in a soft voice. “I didn't know you were coming, I'd dress something nice.” She jokes, pointing to her blue hospital dress. “This is kinda old-fashioned.”

  I giggle and Byul taps her shoulder. Then, there's the moment of silence we knew would come. It was the moment before we told her the news, and the silence meant none of us wanted to do it first.

  “How’s Wheein?” Hwasa breaks the silence. “I didn't get to see her after the accident and we ended up in different rooms.”

  Byul sighs and looks at me, so I shake my head. I know that, if I end up talking, I'll just make it even worse. She gets the message.

  “We can't really tell how she's doing.” She answers Hyejin. “She didn't make it as good as you, that you should know. But they're doing everything they can to make her feel better.” Moon strokes her hair.

  “How long will she be here? Can I go see her?” She asks, her eyes getting full of tears.

  “We’ll have to ask the doctors.” Byul says. She has a talent for staying firm and strong during hard times. I've always admired that in her, even though I know she wants to cry and shout, so the world can hear her always silenced pain.

  “Solar?” Hyejin turns her head to me. “Why are you so quiet?”

  I freeze for a moment before an answer comes out of my mouth. “I just don't know what to say.” I whisper, being completely honest.

  She nods. “Byulyi, can you leave us alone for a second?”

  Moon nods and pats her shoulder, gives me a kiss on the forehead and goes, leaving me with a bunch of unsaid things and scary thoughts.

  “I’m sorry I worry you all the time.” Hyejin mumbles.

  “What?” I face her. “W-what do you mean?”

  She smiles. “I’m the youngest, you've always been like a mom to me. You always cared for me so much. You wouldn't even let me go buy an ice cream when we started training, remember?” She chuckles. “You were scared I'd get hit by a car, so you'd go all the way there to get me one.”

  “I remember.” I say, not knowing wether to smile or to cry. A few tears came out already, but there's also a big smile on my face. I remember all of it like it was yesterday, but I never thought she would.

  “I’d buy you all the ice creams again, you know?” I tell the youngest. “I’d protect you all everyday, for the rest of my life.”

  If only I could have done that.