27

Yongsun POV

  It’s been three days since we first visited the hospital. Moon has been passing by my house everyday to check on me, and then going by the hospital to check on the girls. Hyejin is almost coming back home, and Wheein is actually doing a little better. Nothing much, but enough to revive our hopes.

  I've been avoiding them, and I can't be more honest about it. It makes my heart ache everytime I see their faces, to think I wasn't enough to protect their lives. I wasn't there when I should've been, and it's like there's this really condescending voice reminding me of that every single time I get to lock eyes with them. It just reminds me of how irresponsible I was, so avoiding seeing them was my only option.

  “Yong?” Byul called, waving her hands close to my face. “Are you okay?”

  I come back to reality as soon as I hear her voice calling me. She came by to drop some food, since I haven't been eating that much when I'm alone, but I guess I spaced out a bit.

  “Huh, yeah. Sorry.” I let out a small smile. “You can put the food here.” I point to the counter.

  Byul does as I say, but her eyes don't leave my face.

  “Yong, are you sure you're fine?” She mumbles, getting just a little bit closer to me and holding my hands. “You look so off.”

  “Yeah, Moon. I'm fine.” I refuse to look her in the eyes, keeping my head down. “Are you gonna go now?”

  “I-I was thinking about eating with you today...” She whispers, timidly.

  “Huh?” I finally look at her. “Aren’t you gonna eat at the hospital with Hyejin?”

  She shakes her head and smiles at me, proceeding to caress my cheeks.

  “I’m sorry I haven't been here much.” She says, still in a low voice. “You look skinnier and tired. I want to take care of you this time.” Moon smiles even harder, but there's still a concerned look on her face.

  “Okay, Byulie.” I nod and smile at her. She does know me really well, almost like she has studied every feature of my face and can tell exactly when something’s not right.

  Byul comes closer for a hug, putting her arms around me. I rest my face on her shoulder, deeply inhaling her scent and closing my eyes. I wish I could freeze us right now and stay like this for as long as I needed.

  “I love you.” Byul whispers, without me expecting to hear that so soon. “Please don't fade, Yongsun.”

  “W-what?” I gasp. “You what?” My face automatically gets red and hotter.

  I can't see her face, but I hear her giggles and feel her shoulders bouncing as she laughs.

  “You’re so silly, my Sun.” She hold me tighter, like I'm about to run away. “I said I love you.”

  I smile and open my eyes, my head still resting on her shoulder. She loves me. The feeling of having someone who loves me, despite all of my flaws, makes my heart ache a little bit less, and my head feels lighter than before.  I haven't solved any of my problems or concerns, so why do I feel so happy and free?

  “...Are you gonna leave me on read, in real life!?” Byul raises her tone, still joking.

  I laugh. “I love you, Byulie.” My face slowly gets away from her shoulder and I find myself facing her. My star.

  Moon stares back at me, but stays still. Her mouth slightly opened reminds me of a little hamster, making me smile as soon as I think about it.

  “What?” She says, taking her finger to her lips. “Do I have something here?” Her eyes are wide opened, and she looks confused.

  I chuckle at the younger right before locking my lips with hers. Her soft hands hold my cheeks and we stay like that for a while. Just healing before heading back to the real mess that were our lives.