Chapter 34: Reunion

"So I guess you feel guilty now huh?"

Up in Jasper's bedroom, Thomas pulls out a holdall bag from under the bed. He isn't too sure what to pack, with Jasper being at home, he would have his clothes already. Thomas decided to put in Jasper's shoes, noticing his vans. Thomas remembers Jasper wearing them on their first escape together out of the window.

He spots Jasper's phone and charger on the side and places them in the bag along with the shoes. Finally he grabs a top he had seen Jasper wear a few times, guessing it must be a favourite and a pair of sweatpants which looked reasonably clean.

Thomas was surprised at how he felt so sentimental about these things. Jasper was evidently doing something to him. He zips the bag closed and leaves it on top of the bed, before heading to his room to try and get some rest.

***

"Thomas, I'm heading out in half an hour!" Thomas' eyes open with the morning call of Jim through the door. He felt a little nervous about seeing Jasper. With them not speaking since yesterday morning. Thomas wondered if Jasper would even be pleased to see him. There was only one way to find out.

After washing and dressing in some clean clothes of Jasper's, Thomas heads down the stairs to the kitchen. Jim and Molly stood up in an embrace. "Are you sure you will manage?" Jim speaks into her neck.

"I'll be fine, it's just for the morning." She replies, pulling away from the hug, to retrieve a basket of things to take with him. "Take this with you. It's just a few bits so you don't go empty handed."

Jim looks in the box to see some fresh cake, bread, eggs and jam. "Molly thank you. Rosie will appreciate this.

Molly then hands Thomas a lidded pot of hot porridge. "Jim wants to get going, so you can eat this in the car."

"Thanks Mol!" Thomas says smiling, taking the container from his sister. They both now head to the car, with Thomas carrying the holdall and the porridge.

***

They have been travelling for around 10 minutes down the road. Both don't seem to mind the silence, Jim deep in thought about his mother, still grasping the reality of her not being around any more, then all the practical things he had to deal with, such as the funeral arrangements.

Thomas could only think of one thing. Jasper. He just wanted to see him and make things right with him and be there for him.

Jim glances at Thomas, who seems deep in thought out of the window. "Hey." He says, just loud enough to attract his attention.

Thomas pulls his fixed stare away from the window and turns to look at Jim. "Where were you yesterday?"

Thomas looks down at his hands resting in his lap, feeling a little sheepish. "I went home...Jasper and I...we argued."

Jim shakes his head. "So I guess you feel guilty now huh?" He concludes.

"A little." Thomas admits, now looking out to the front windscreen.

Jim takes a sigh before speaking. "You know, Jasper reminds me of myself a lot. We tend to be a little hot headed and can sometimes act before we think, but we're not all bad. At least your sister saw the good in me and continues to do so." Jim clears his throat, trying to avoid the sentimentality of the sentence. "Anyway, what I'm trying to say is maybe having a Hepler in your life isn't such a bad thing. I have Molly and Jasper has you. You might just be the friend he needs right now."

Thomas doesn't answer, but he takes in every word. Jasper may need Thomas right now, but what Jim didn't know was that Thomas needed Jasper just as much.

"Anyway." Jim interrupts Thomas' train of thought. "What were you arguing over?"

"Umm..." Thomas didn't know what to say. He didn't even know if Jim knew he was gay. Not that it was a big secret to be kept from him, but it was a part of his life he did like to keep reasonably private regardless of his preferences. "It was nothing really, it doesn't matter now" He ends up concluding.

"Well I'm sure he will be pleased to see you anyhow." Jim says, trying to give a reassuring smile. Then once again the car goes quiet, eventually they reach the suburbs of the city.

The area is very well turned out, with a tree lined street, housing rows of smart properties with smart iron gates and pass keys allowing entry.

Jim pulls up alongside a stone walled property. It's joined one side to it's neighbour and has a single smart wooden door set within the wall. Both Thomas and Jim exit the vehicle, with Thomas following Jim around to the back of the car to retrieve Jasper's bag, whilst Jim scooped up the box of food offerings for his sister.

With his hands full, Jim gestures for Thomas to press the buzzer. "Get that would you." Thomas steps forward and presses the buzzer and waits. Not even a few seconds pass when they hear a woman's voice. "Hello?"

"Rosie it's me!" Jim shouts further back, causing the gate to be released and both Thomas and Jim enter the property. Jasper's mother meets them halfway, helping take the box from Jim. "These are from Molly." Jim smiles.

"Ah bless her." She says with a grateful smile. She then spots Thomas standing just shy from Jim. "Who's this?"

"Nice to meet you. I'm Thomas, Molly's brother." Thomas nods his head slightly.

"He's become good friends with Jasper over the past few weeks," Jim adds.

Jasper's mother looks like she may cry, looking at the young man before him. "Thank You Thomas for coming. He needs a friend right now. I can't seem to get him out of his room."

Thomas suddenly feels equally pained as he remembers just how it felt when he lost his grandma. "May I go see him? I have some of his things."

"Of course." The lady nods, forcing a smile. "His room is at the top of the stairs, first door on the right."

Thomas smiles back and heads into the Jones' house. He removes his shoes and clutches the holdall tight in his left hand as he steps lightly up the stairs to the first floor. He sees the first door to his right and is soon standing in front of it. Thomas listens to hear any noise coming from the other side but it sounds dead silent. He takes a breath in and raises a hand and softly knocks on the door. He waits a minute but the knock alone gets no response. Thomas knocks again, but this time speaks. "Jasper?...it's Tom." Thomas now can hear movement and a fumble of a bolt on the other side of the door. It opens slowly and Thomas doesn't know what to expect.