Chapter 36: Back to the farm

"Tom, you are what I want, what I need right now."

Thomas suddenly sits up, resting on Jasper's thighs. "W...what? Here, right now? Jas your uncle and mother are downstairs."

Jasper sits up a little, leaning on his elbows. "So? I can keep quiet."

A cheeky smile spreads across Thomas' face. "Trust me.You won't." Thomas then places his hand on Jasper's cheek. A more serious look on his face. "You have just lost someone very important to you and although I would love nothing more than to have you wrapped around me and you screaming my name, I think we should take a rain check."

Jasper looks down at Thomas' body, his tongue now pushed into his cheek. He knew Thomas was right. Jasper then looks down at the older's clothes a little closer. "Are you wearing my sweater?"

Thomas then looks down at the black sweater on his body. "Uh yeah umm, it's a long story, but, I've brought some of your stuff back." Thomas pulls the holdall around from the bottom of the bed. Jasper now pulls the bag towards him and opens the zip, rummaging for his phone and charger, proceeding to pull them out and lean across to his plug by his bed to charge his phone.

Jasper then looks at the few scattered clothes sat in the bag. "Why have you brought my clothes?" He questions, furrowing his brow.

Thomas now looks in the bag at the items. "I just brought your favourite things." He says, looking at Jasper, hoping he did right.

A small smile spreads across Jasper's face. "You noticed my favourite things?" He says, feeling a little blush. He then looks at Thomas a little confused. "But I'm coming back to the farm. You don't need to bring them over."

Thomas shakes his head. "No...Jim said you were staying here now."

Jasper now sits up completely, with Thomas moving off his knees. "What good am I here? No, I'm better use at the farm."

Thomas looks confused. "Don't you want to stay with your mother?"

"And do what?" Jasper raises his arms in question. "Just stay in my room? I don't know anything about funerals! That's uncle's job."

Thomas clears his throat "I just thought you would want to be with your mother." He shrugs.

Jasper takes a moment to try to explain. "My mum and I...we don't have that kind of relationship. I do love her...I do, but she is just too different from me. I don't think we would be a great source of comfort for each other."

Jasper then puts his hand on Thomas' arm. "Tom, you are what I want, what I need right now." Jasper again leans in and presses his lips against Thomas'. Thomas kisses back before wrapping his arms around Jasper and holding him close. Probably one of the most heartfelt experiences they had ever felt between each other.

***

"Jasper are you sure?" Jim frowns at his nephew who has just declared he wants to go back with him.

"It makes sense uncle. I would be more useful on the farm and then you won't be leaving Molly by herself and you'd be free to help Mum with grandma's funeral."

"It sounds like you've got it all figured out." His mother comments, under a half smile. "I'm just glad you are out of your room and are eating. You had me worried."

"Don't worry mum. Tom will keep an eye on me." Jasper looks at Thomas, smiling a little, causing Thomas to return the look with a light smile before looking down at his uneaten bread sitting on his plate.

"I tell you Rosie. The Heplers work wonders!" Jim chuckles, Looking at Thomas, thinking back to their conversation in the car.

At last, the tension that was initially felt between them was eased.

***

The ride back to the farm was unexpectedly pleasant, with Jasper and Thomas both choosing to sit next to each other in the backseat of the four by four. "Are you sure about this lad, I can still turn around?" Jasper's uncle calls over his shoulder.

"It's ok uncle. I'd rather be busy, plus it frees you up to sort out grandma's stuff." Jasper gives a weak smile before looking out of the window. His uncle nods and continues with the journey.

Jasper suddenly feels a hand take his. He looks down to see Thomas' fingers lace in between his own as the hands are kept out of sight from his uncle. Jasper smiles, looking down at the hands before glancing up to see Thomas looking at him. His face conveyed a look Jasper had never seen before. But he couldn't wait to find out what it meant.