Year Three, Chapter Fifteen

*Dracos POV*

As I board the Hogwarts express, I can't help but scan the crowd for a certain y/h/c girl.

I see her looking around and my heart drops. Her eyes meet mine and her face breaks into a smile as she runs over to me. I can't help but smile too.

She hugs me tight and I hug her back. Tingles spread through my body like wildfire from her touch, my hands find themselves at her waist and I hold her close. I missed her, damn it.

No, no, no! This was just supposed to be a friendship to get to Potter. I somehow ended up being genuine friends with her, that's fine, but now... What am I feeling??? What is wrong with me??

I push her off of me.

"I'll.. uh.. see you later." I say, stepping away from her hurriedly. I glance to see her surprised and hurt face.

My heart twangs. I don't wanna do this to her but I can't feel this way about her. I just can't.

*Readers POV*
The platform is bustling with people, snow gently falling. I pull my jacket tighter around me as I walk with Harry and Ron, looking for Draco.

Then I see him, he's looking at me and when our eyes make contact my heart races. I break into a sprint and jump onto him, hugging him. He hugs me back tightly.

All I can smell is him; expensive cologne, green apples, a hint of vanilla and minty breath. I smile, but suddenly I am ripped away from him. He pushes me off.

"I'll.. uh.. see you later." He stutters out. He walks away, turns for a second, and speedwalks away. I feel my heart break.

The train ride goes by fast. I sit there, quiet, thinking. Why does it hurt? He and I were just friends. I shouldn't be this hurt over it.

But I am. I guess friendships ending hurt this bad too. Everyone kind of lets me chill on the ride once I said I was fine. They know to leave me be.

Walking into the great hall for dinner, I make eye contact with a pair of grey eyes. He quickly looks away but I don't.

Pansy clings to him. She plays with his hair and leans on him. Ouch. I don't know why it hurts. Why do I feel this way?

Time passes, pretty much nothing interesting happens. Harry's been getting private lessons with Professor Lupin to learn a spell to get rid of dementors, and that's about it. Well, there's one more thing. Draco hasn't talk to me at all.

But, Draco has been talking to his father and now Hagrid is facing a trial for Buckbeak attacking Draco.

We sit there and talk about it at breakfast. Hagrids trial was yesterday and Harry, Ron, and Hermione went and talked to him. I had detention with Snape because I was talking during potions too much apparently.

Cold grey eyes meet mine. This time he stares at me.

*Dracos POV*

I've been avoiding y/n for weeks. I can't help but stare at her when I get the chance. Analyze her features. Today she looks over but I keep looking for some reason.

"Y/n..." Hermione says, taking her attention off of me. "That necklace." Jerking up suddenly, I start eavesdropping.

"What about it?" She stutters.

"Didn't Draco give it to you?" She nods, taking the necklace from where it was tucked in her shirt and holding it tightly in her hand. "Since he's avoiding you completely, why are you still wearing it?" All her friends eyes are on her now.

"I guess you're right." Her hands are shaky as she unclasps the necklace. She looks over as she pulls it off. Overwhelmed with a tidal wave of emotions, I turn and hurriedly walk out of the great hall.

*Readers POV*

Y/n..." Hermiones voice rips my attention from Draco. "That necklace." I freeze. The one Draco gave me.

"What about it?" I curse myself for stuttering.

"Didn't Draco give it to you?" Nodding, I take the necklace from where it was tucked in my shirt and hold it tightly in my hand. "Since he's avoiding you completely, why are you still wearing it?" This catches Harry, Ron, and the twins attention.

"I guess you're right." I feel my hands shake as I unclasp and take off the necklace. I can't help but look over at the Slytherin table. Draco is standing, a hurt look on his face as he turns and walk away quickly. I start to stand up, but Ron witnessed the entire thing and holds me down. I sigh.

I look down at the silver chain in my hand and hold back tears. Pocketing the necklace, I sit there in silence.

The next day Buckbeak is sentenced to death. The date comes faster than expected. Damn Malfoys. The day of, we walk down to visit Hagrid.

"Ah! Come to see the show??" Malfoy shouts. I glare at him, but I cannot muster up a true evil look. Not at him.

"You! You foul, evil, loathsome little cockroach!!!" Hermione charges at Malfoy, her wand at his throat. He starts panicking.

"Hermione, he's not worth it." I say. She turns and Malfoy starts laughing. Something in me snaps and I charge forward.

I shove him against the rock, pinning him by his shoulders.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Bloody coward. You're just a pathetic asshole." I say, jerking him with every insult.

"Y/n!" Harry grabs me and pulls me against him and away from Malfoy.

Hermione lunges forward and punches Malfoy in the nose before he recovers from my attack.

"That's for what you did to Hagrid. And especially y/n." She whispers the last part. He runs away, holding his nose tightly.

"That was brilliant, Hermione!" I say, giving her a hug.

"You scared the right shit out of him y/n..." Ron says.

"That's my girl," Harry says, wrapping an arm around my waist. I smile and lean into him. The happy moment disappears as we remember what we were doing.

Walking down in solemn silence, Harry grabs my hand and squeezes it. I can't help but feel somewhat bad about what I did to malfoy. He's an ass but I feel for him. I miss him. Ugh.

We reach Hagrids hut and enter, he starts talking about everything happening and how Dumbledore wants to be with him when it happens.

"We will stay too, Hagrid." I say, wanting to support the gentle giant.

"You'll do no such thing!!! I don't want you seeing anything like that!" He exclaims. I sigh and nod. Hagrid tells us to finish up our tea and leave. Suddenly, a vase shatters. Turning to look at it, Harry shouts out in pain. Another rock was thrown, this one colliding with the back of Harry's head. Confused, he looks out the window.

"Fudge is coming!" Hagrid shoo's us out and I give fang some head scratches on my way out.