12│three

CHAPTER 12: three

The cabinet was almost done

The cabinet was almost done. While Draco was still in the Hospital Wing, Elaine decided to work on the cabinet and try to get it finished in time. There was almost time for dinner and her stomach was rumbling so she decided to go down to The Great hall. People still stare at her and whisper about her in the hallways about her relationship with Draco even though it has been a few weeks since the rumour started going around. She got an angry letter the other day from her mother. She wasn't that angry that it was Draco Malfoy, she was angry at the fact Elaine kept it a secret for two years and a little because it was Draco Malfoy. And the person who was the angriest was her twin sister. She has been ignoring her since she found out about it, but Elaine didn't think much off it.

Her friends have been very supportive of her and understand why they chose to keep it a secret. They come from two very different families with two very different ways of living their lives. Not to mention one of the families is against Voldemort while the other works on his side. Draco's friends have been acting a little weird towards her. Whenever they see her, they smile at her and greet her. Apparently, they gave Draco a handful the other day in the Hospital Wing and they asked him all kinds of questions about Elaine and their relationship. He told them about when it started, how it started and he threatened them to be nice towards her. If he heard that any of them was bad toward her, they would have to deal with him. They told him not to worry and that they would be nice to her.

She sat down by the table and started to fill her platter with food. She looked up to the professor's table and noticed that Dumbledore wasn't sitting there and looked over to the Gryffindor table and saw that Harry wasn't there either. How curious. She finished her food fast and went back up to the cabinet. Under the dinner, she had an idea that may get it to work right away. Elaine almost ran the way to the room of requirements. She did her plan and it worked!

"Yes!" she jumps up into the air and smiles to herself. She was about to turn and walk down to where Draco was, but then someone suddenly placed a hand on her shoulder. She froze, "You were able to finish the cabinet?"

Elaine relaxed at the sound of his voice and turned to face him, "Yes, I just finished it." He nods at her and his smile falls slowly. He turns her around so she's facing him completely.

"You need to listen to me carefully, okay?" she furrowed her eyebrows and nodded. "I need you to go down to the common room and stay there. Do not leave the room. Do you understand?"

"I think so, but what about you?"

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine," he embraces her before kissing her hard. The kiss was almost sad and you could feel the sorrow Draco was feeling right at that moment. Elaine hadn't noticed it before, but he was trembling. She didn't ask, thinking she wouldn't get a good answer and let it be. He kissed her one last time before ushering her out of the room. She walked down to the common room and found her book, but she wasn't able to concentrate with all the people chatting and decided to sit in the courtyard instead. She knew Draco told her to not leave the common room, but thought that the courtyard wouldn't hurt.

Elaine sat herself down in front of one of the pillars looking out on the yard. She opened her book and started reading when she came over a quote; "Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forget life, to be at peace." - Oscar Wilde. Then she saw the most horrifying thing. Dumbledore falling from the Astronomy Tower. He fell down on the grass with a thud and Elaine got up slowly from where she sat and moved over to his body. She placed herself a few meters from him and looked up at the tower. She saw Draco at the top together with Bellatrix and a few other Death Eaters.

McGonagall came out and saw the body of Dumbledore lying on the grass and Elaine staring at it with wide eyes. She moved over to Elaine who was in utter shock and embraced her. Soon, more and more people came out and saw the picture in front of them. Ginny moved towards her sister after seeing the look in her eyes. The look she has seen too many times. The look of someone who has seen a person die in front of their very eyes. Her friends come and took Ginny's place as she goes to Harry. McGonagall held up her wand and everyone followed. This is all my fault... If I hadn't mended that cabinet, then they would never have come into this school and killed Dumbledore. I did this...