16│choices

CHAPTER 16: choices

Elaine had never seen so much blood in her whole life

Elaine had never seen so much blood in her whole life. Yes, she had seen death and bloodied bodies before. Hell, she even saw her boyfriend lying on the floor almost dying of blood loss. But this, this was much worse. The goblins lying on the floor with all the blood seeping out of them and Voldemort walking in the blood pools like it didn't even matter, with a look that seeped of betrayal. She felt terrified watching him walk over the bodies speaking a language she did not understand. She grabbed Draco's hand harder, trying to look away, but couldn't. The sight in front of her was too much. The screams and the terrifying expressions of the goblins are still fresh in her mind. Elaine looked up and locked eyes with him before he apparated away. Narcissa grabbed Draco's hand and apparated the three of them back to the Manor. Elaine went right to their bedroom, Draco on her heels. When he had shut the door, she let her tears fall down. He came right over to her, soothing her while she cried. And he couldn't help let a few tears fall down himself.

ελάιν

The big doors of the Great Hall opens and the Order walks in; Ron. Hermione. Remus. Arthur. Molly. Fred. George. Percy. Luna. Dean Thomas. Bill. Fleur and Kingsley Shacklebolt. And Elaine.

Let's recap?

"I can't keep living like this! I've tried for yours and my family's sake, but I can't take it anymore," she says while packing her bags. Elaine moves in a fast paste so that she can leave before anyone comes back. At the moment, the only people at the Manor were her and Draco.

"Elli... Are you sure about this? Because you need to be completely sure before you make a decision," he moves over to her and hugs her from behind, moving a hand up and down her arm.

"Yes," she says firmly. "As much as I love you, Draco. My family matters too. And living here in this gloomy place with death and horror anywhere is too much. I'm sorry."

Draco turns her around, wiping away the stray tear that escaped, "I understand." He kisses her forehead and she smiles faintly at him. He follows her outside and then she apparates away. "Be safe, my Love..."

Elaine couldn't bear to be on his side anymore and she believed strongly that the Dark Lord needed the Malfoys enough to keep them alive.

"How dare you stand where he stood?!" Snape watches Harry draw his wand, pointing it at him. "Tell them how it happened that night. Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you... and killed him. Tell them!" Snape hesitates a little before taking out his wand. McGonagall pushes away Harry to fight Snape. They fight and he takes out the Carrow siblings before he takes the measure of the room and sweeps his wand over his head, reducing the torches that line the wall to smoke and pitching the hall into total darkness. Then he apparates away. McGonagall lights the hall again, shouting after Snape. Then Harry suddenly winces slightly, pressing his fingers to his temple.

A slow rumbling fills the hall. Harry glances up and sees dark clouds coagulating in the enchanted ceiling. McGonagall follows his gaze, as do others, watching as the clouds shift eerily, like blots of blood. Suddenly the flames in the torches along the walls tremble as a chill breeze consumes the room. The hall slowly dims and everyone becomes silent until a loud scream can be heard from one side of the room. Harry rushes through the crows pushing past them until he finds a young Ravenclaw student screaming louder and louder.

Everyone watches, afraid and confused about what's happening. Another person screams somewhere in the Hall, then another. All are a mirror image of the Ravenclaw student now, grimacing in pain. Harry stares, confused, stricken with pain. Then a deathly whisper fills their heads;

"I know that many of you will want to fight. Some of you may even think this wise. But this is folly. I wish you no harm. I have great respect for the students of Hogwarts. I was once one myself after all. I ask for but one thing and if granted no magical blood shall be spilt... Give me Harry Potter. Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded," everyone's eyes move towards Harry, then Pansy points at him.

"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!" instinctively, Ginny steps in front of Harry, wand drawn. Elaine does so too, "Elaine?" Pansy says with disbelief leaking from her voice. Then, as one, the Gryffindors assemble in a line and face towards the Slytherins, shielding Harry. Moments later, the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs do the same. Harry's eyes glitter at the sight, moved. Ginny lowers her wand. Then Filch comes running in.

"Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!"

"They're supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!"

"Oh. Sorry, ma'am."

"Wait! As it turns out, Mr. Filch, your arrival is most opportune. If you would, I'd like you to lead Miss Heather and the rest of Slytherin House from the Hall."

"Right away," he stops for a moment. "Er, exactly where is it I'd be leading them to, ma'am?"

"The dungeons should do," everyone starts cheering and Elaine steps towards McGonagall. "You don't need to go, Miss Weasley. You have already proven your allegiance." She smiles at her professor before walking over to her family. Feeling happy in that moment about her decision, hoping it was the right one.

(A/N) Some of the lines in this chapter are from the Harry Potter movie scripts, which mean that I don't own it. Everything else is written by me.