17│smiles of gratitude

CHAPTER 17: smiles of gratitude

Elaine ran through what used to be the school's hallways but was now in ruins and dead bodies were scattered all around the floor

Elaine ran through what used to be the school's hallways but was now in ruins and dead bodies were scattered all around the floor. She kept running, not daring to look if any of them was still alive as the Death Eater behind her was still after her. She was unable to think straight and wondered what it was in this moment she feared the most. The danger only a few meters behind her or the possibility that... What if Draco was among those bodies? She washed the thought away fast as a spell shot over her head. She turned around fast and shot a spell without a word at the Death Eater. She had no idea what spell it was, but the man behind her fell down on the floor hard. Elaine went over to him, took his wand off the ground and snapped it in two.

Then she heard a scream. A scream that pierced through her mind and put it to overdrive. She ran after the sound and saw a Death Eater getting the upper hand on a red-headed boy. Just as before, she shot a spell wordlessly and the woman fell to the floor. "Fred--" she went over to him and kneeled down. His face was stained with fresh tears at his near-death experience and Elaine just hugged him. They were so caught up in the moment that they didn't notice someone coming up behind them, pointing his wand at Elaine's neck. She froze as she felt the tip of the wand touch her skin. She got up from the floor, fear striking in both hers and Fred's eyes.

"Avad--"

"Petrificus totalus!" the man behind her fell to the floor with a loud smash. Elaine turned around quickly to see who her saviour was. Tears welled in her eyes as she met the stormy grey eyes of the one she loves so deeply. As he locked eyes with her, his face softened and she ran into his embrace. She was so happy that he was alright. Ever since the battle started, she was so afraid that something had happened to him. He took hold of her shoulders and moved her a few inches away from him to look at her, to see if she had gotten hurt. "I'm fine. Just a few scratches," his heart felt a little lighter as he was assured she was alright. Fred came up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder, smiling at her sister gratefully for saving his life and at Draco for saving her life. Then all three of them winced slightly as a deathly whisper fills their heads once more;

"You have fought valiantly... but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

"Harry Potter, I speak now directly to you. On this night you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour.

"Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. Should you do so I give my word that no other life will be lost on this night. You have one hour. If, at the end of that time, you have not given yourself up, then I shall punish every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

The Death Eater that was beside them smirked wickedly at them before apparating away, but not before shooting a spell at them which Fred shielded in a swift movement.