City of Walls and Secrets

The train ride into Ba Sing Se is mercilessly slow. Your entire body aches and you just want to curl into a ball on Zei's couch and sleep. It won't be the same. Now it's yours, you suppose. You're the only person Zei had, he pushed everyone else away, you don't know where his family would be if they're even alive, that leaves it up to you to respectfully carry on his belongings. Damn I need a massage. But massages would have to wait. Important information needs to be passed forward.

Finally, Katara breaks the silence. "Look, the inner wall!" She cheers. You look out of the window and smile at the wall. You feel Toph's hand graze over yours, and you turn your face to her. She has a tiny smirk. This here is my husband. You put your hand on hers as you watch her face redden. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece." Katara sighs.

"Hey, don't jinx it!" Sokka exclaims, Toph sets her head on her free hand in annoyance, "We could be attacked by some giant, exploding fire nation spoon. Or find out that the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp."

"You been hitting some of that cactus juice again?" Toph asks, as Momo jumps into her lap and she pets him as he licks your hand on hers.

"I'm just sayin' weird stuff happens to us."

"I kinda wanna see that spoon now." You admit. Sokka gives you a look and looks away before a man with corn in his mouth plots himself between you and Sokka. Sokka walks towards the other two, you look at Toph. She looks just as worn as you are, "So you're a Beifong? Never would've guessed."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You aren't a rich, snooty prick?"

"Nice save."

"I know a lot of rich people, being a L/N. I met Lao a few years ago, over a wage battle, he was impossible to work with and the meeting ended up with him getting a black eye. Zei kept me from doing worse." you sigh, "I'm betting that makes you hate me, huh? I shouldn't have-"

She holds up a finger. "I still like you-- like as a friend, of course." She pulls her hand away, "That was cool. You risked your life for some workers?"

"I empathize with the working class, for better or worse." You say, shrugging and watching the city pass by. You scratch Momo behind the ears and he purrs. "I'm glad we met." you say at last.

Toph smiles, "Me too."

The train pulls to a stop and you all get off. Toph sighs, "Back in the city. Great."

"What's the problem?" Sokka asks, "It's amazing!"

"Just a bunch of walls and rules." Toph explains, "Just wait, you'll get sick of it in a few days." You watch Aang walk forwards and follow him.

"I'm by your side Aang, until the firelord is dealt with. We'll find him."

Aang nods and Katara puts a hand on his shoulder. "He's here," Aang says, "I can feel it."

You turn to face a familiar person, that blank face, those hypnotized eyes, those perfectly white teeth. "Hello, I'm Joo Dee." She says, "I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se." She briefly regards everyone else, "You must be Katara, Sokka, Toph and..." her eyes stop on you and her smile twitches, "...Y/n." Sokka gives you an odd look and you shrug, pretending to be as confused as he is. "Welcome to our wonderful city! Let's begin the tour."

"Yes." Sokka says, "We have information about the fire nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King immediately."

"Great!" Joo Dee says, "Let's begin the tour, then I'll show you four to your new home, here." She gestures at everyone except you. "I think you'll like it."