Tales Of Ba Sing Se

You wake up feeling like your body has been put through the wringer, groaning, you grab a razor from your bag and walk to the mirror, looking at your stubble beard. Taking your spot between Aang and Sokka, you put on the shaving cream and get to work, gently grazing your skin with the razor until you're cleanly shaved. When you're done, you see Katara exit the bathroom and you follow slowly. You both see Toph face-down in her bed, her hair sprawled out everywhere. You and Katara have differing responses. You think that she looks cute and peaceful, Katara thinks she looks awful.

"Toph! Aren't you gonna get ready for the day?"

Toph gets up and hocks a loogie into the spitoon. "I'm ready." she says, brushing herself off, a sheet of dust comes off of her and you realize Katara's concern.

"You're not gonna wash up? You've got a little dirt on your- everywhere, actually." Katara says, wincing slightly.

"You call it dirt, I call it a healthy coating of earth."

Katara smiles, "Me and Y/N are going to the spa, maybe you'd like to go too?"

"I got a three hour deep tissue to get through," you smile, "So it'll be just you two once we get there." You add.

"A girls day out." Katara adds.

"Do I have to?" Toph asks.

"It'll be fun!" Katara prods.

When Toph gives in, you all make your way to the spa. You're taken in first. A big dude limps in and you raise an eyebrow, "Shouldn't your hands be more dainty?" You ask nervously.

"No. I have big hands, I am good with big hands." You hesitatingly let him proceed, and he was right, for a dude with huge hands, he's surprisingly gentle. "I learn to be masseuse at Northern Water Tribe. They were nice." He says, "They teach me that big hands doesn't mean bad massage. Just means to be more gentle."

"You need a raise." You say, feeling relaxed.

"Thank you. I enjoy work here. I start this place for travellers like you and me. I used to be traveller like you until I took arrow in knee." He says. "Then the rich show up and make this place day spa. Now we rarely get intended customer." Suddenly you both hear a loud crash. You poke your head up. "Oh no worry, It was wife. Your wife."

"My wife?"

"When did you get married by way? News been all over town since party."

"Toph. Right. Um... about a week ago?"

"Well, she is perfect for you. I'm Hui Yin, by way. It is honor to have L/N in presence."

"Hui Yin, didn't you used to be Professor Zei's Pai Sho partner?"

"Yes. He was master at it. Never lose. I go out, I never come back. I'm so sorry to hear about passing, by way. Words can't describe remorse."

"He died doing what he loved, that's what matters, right?" And so he continues to massage. When he's done, you give him a two gold piece tip and he gives his thanks, you get dressed and you leave and find them on a bridge, you listen in on their conversation with three girls you know are bad news.

"Wow, great makeup." The leading girl says.

"Thanks." Toph says, you can feel a feminine confidence oozing from her. You smile, knowing that she feels happy with herself.

"For a clown!" The girl finishes and her friends roar in laughter. "I bet Y/N only married her out of pity." More laughter. You see Toph lose all of her confidence. Your smile turns downward.

"No, I think she looks cute. Like that time we dressed up your pet poodle-monkey!" the middle girl says.

The girls laugh, "Good one Star."

You feel an almost feral rage burn inside you as you walk up to them. They look at you with wide eyes and gasp. "I married her because she could kick my ass with her eyes closed." You pause, "Not that that would matter much, granted, but my point remains. She's the most beautiful girl on the planet. It's bold of you to insult her looks when you look like a couple of donkeys fresh out of the barn."

"Look we're sorry-"

"Don't say that to me!" you snap.

They turn around and face Toph, who is laughing, on the verge of crying. "No, no. That was a good one. Like your poodle-monkey!" She continues her fake laughing, leaving both you and the girls confused. "You- you know what else is a good one?" She stomps and opens a hole in the ground, all three girls fall in causing a splash that soaks you.

"Aw, come on!" You complain, looking down at your shirt.

"Now that was funny." Katara agrees, looking down at them, then she uses her waterbending to send a wave that sweeps the girls away.

Toph closes the hole and walks towards you. "I'm sorry, it was my fault." You say, "I shouldn't have said-" She cuts you off with a kiss, wrapping her arms around your neck, you're too shocked to kiss back before she pulls away. "I- but- we- I- uh..."

"Quit tripping over yourself, Graceless." She commands. You stand up straight. "Did you mean what you said?"

"Every last word, minus the marrying part. We aren't married yet, but..." You put your arms around her and pull her into another kiss. This one lasts longer, "Maybe later in our lives." you say, pulling away, "And for the record, you're always beautiful."

Katara shakes her head, smiling. "Come on guys, let's get home."

"You girls go ahead, I have to meet the guys for tea. Our favorite place just got a new tea maker and he makes the best in town. We'll talk later Toph, alright?" With that you walk away, towards the tea shop.

"Hey, Y/N." Cheng says, tears in his eyes, Bo is crying too. He walks up and hugs you, "I heard what happened to Zei. I can't imagine how hard that must be." You sit down with them.

"Where are the rest?"

"They couldn't bear to come." Bo replies. A man walks to your table wearing an apron with a beard and a large gut.

"Is this a sad occasion?" He asks.

"Wasn't supposed to be." you say, "Someone important to us died."

"Ah. I'm sorry to hear that, some tea might help to calm the nerves." He says.

"Jasmine, please." you say. The man nods and walks off.

"Congratulations as well, this should be happy, you got married!" Bo cheers.

You nod and tap the table twice, "I got to see the bear yesterday." You say. Suddenly, the man is back with your tea. You take it and take a sip, "This is the best cup of tea I've ever had, Mr..."

"Please, call me Mushi." he says, bowing, "Thank you." Then Mushi leaves.

"Anyways, I'm happy to see you guys here. Tell the crew that Operation Fizzle is in effect on my go." you say, standing up and downing your cup. "This city's liberation will soon begin." You set down a silver piece on the table, tapping it three times before leaving.

When you get back, everyone is out except Toph and Momo. You walk towards her nervously, "So... about earlier..." You start.

"Look Y/N, I'm just gonna lay this out plain and simple, I'm not gonna spend forever waiting for you to make up your mind, so this one's for all the beans." Toph sits up and looks into your eyes, "Do you like me like I like you?"

There is a silence for a few seconds, before you grab her hand. You'd love to go into a colorful, romantic speech but... That's a little melodramatic, don't you think? "Yes." You say.

"Then do you wanna try to have an us?" Toph asks.

"Yes." You say without hesitation. Nothing. "So... what now?"

"I really wanna kiss you." Toph says, blushing and looking down.

"Then do it."