Chapter 4 - Deceived

A silence fell over the room. An eerie silence, that felt like a huge elephant was crowding the room. So silent, in fact, that a pin could have dropped and it probably would have sounded like a nuclear explosion going off. My tension was high as I waited and watched all three men quietly deliberate what they were going to say to me. When it was clear that to get any answers from them that I would have to take charge, I sucked in a breath and blew it out dramatically. "Why did you kidnap me," I finally asked, going straight for the kill without even pussyfooting around the edges.

Gio's arctic eyes met mine and that smirk played on his lips, the annoying smirk that I was beginning to hate. "What do you know about the man you were going to marry," he then asked with an arched brow.

I know you did not just answer a question with ANOTHER question!

My face deadpanned as I stared at him incredulously. "Seriously? You can't answer a question with another question," I huffed out in annoyance, mirroring my own annoyed thoughts that my brain was rattling around inside of my head.

His lips pulled up from the smirk and into a slightly smug grin. "I can actually, because it's vitally important information. Before we go forward, I need to know what you already know," Gio replied before staring at me expectantly, clearly waiting for my answer.

Blast him and his logical logic.

After taking a big sip of wine and swallowing it, I breathed out another sigh, this one in annoyance. "Nothing actually. Our marriage was arranged before I was even born," I finally lamented. "I just know he's older, Italian and rich.. Oh and clearly a murderer," my shoulders shrugged a bit. It really did sound pathetic when I heard it out loud and again I had to wonder what my father was thinking.

The three brothers exchanged looks and I couldn't tell exactly what those looks said. "Your future husband is a mafia boss for one of the biggest mafia families to come out of Italy," Gio then stated as he kept a weary eye on me.

Nothing. And I do mean nothing, could have prepared me for that bombshell. My brain worked hard to try and process the words. "I.... Wait. What," I jumped up and shook my head. "Hell no way is that possible! My father would never put me into a situation like that! He wouldn't put me in eminent danger," I yelled as I began pacing. "My father was many things, but he certainly wouldn't put me in danger like that. No way," my hands were shaking and angry tears built in my eyes. I refused to see my father as a man who would willfully marry me off to a mafia boss. He wasn't a monster! Was he?

He'd have to be insane!

The brothers exchanged more looks now, and I definitely knew those looks: Several layers of confusion. "Do you even know who you are," Angelo then asked slowly as if I had escaped from a loony bin.

What kid of question was that!?

Pushing back my tears, I narrowed my eyes at him. "Of course I do! I'm Ganessa Russo," I spat back bitterly.

Gio now laughed, a laugh that rumbled in his chest like the fine purr from a finely tuned engine. "No. He means do you know who you are," he then reiterated the question.

Clearly these men had no mental capacity between the three of them."Putting emphasis on the word 'who' doesn't change the question, Captain Obvious," I pointed out in annoyance.

Standing up, Gio walked slowly over to me as if I were a charity case on the brink of a breakdown, which I might have been given the information being thrust at me. "You really have no clue who you are, do you," he asked as his eyes scrutinized me in a way that made me unsure of myself and made me question if I really did know who I was.