Chapter 29 - Bittersweet Goodbyes

Things were finally going back to normal in the Corvello household. It had been a few months now, since our wedding and the scary events that followed. Georgio had come home a week and a half after his surgery. He recovered nicely, although as with any man, he was a big baby when it came to being injured. Even after four months, he still whined about being in pain to get out of doing anything.

There were still no leads on who had actually killed Michael, but I still had my suspicion that it was actually Gabby who had pulled the trigger, despite her claims that she had been injured. The cops had done a thorough sweep of the house and also did a complete and thorough investigation of everyone at the wedding, which left them completely baffled and empty handed.

"Babe, what do you say to moving back to Italy," Gio asked one day, out of the blue as we ate lunch together. The rest of the family was out and I realized how lonely the house actually felt without them.

As I sipped my coffee, I pondered over the idea of moving back to Italy. That was my goal after all, to become a writer out in Tuscany. However, things had changed some in recent times and my dream had shifted slightly. "Babe, we can't just leave the family," I then stated softly, letting my initial dream balloon deflate quickly.

Apparently my statement had confused my husband. "Why would we leave them," Gio then asked with a perked brow.

"You know damn well that Angelo won't leave Amelia. They've become quite serious and I know that love will keep him at her side, as it should be," I then replied as I speared a fry with my fork and popped it into my mouth.

Gio chuckled softly. "You're right, I suppose. But I don't want to stay here. California is beautiful, but it's not really home," he then replied as he sipped his coffee.

I had to agree with him there, after my parent's deaths, California did not feel like home to me. "As long as I'm with you, I'm home," I replied with a smile, sounding like a cliché romance novel heroine, making us both laugh out loud.

"I'm going to have to cut out your romance novel reading," he chuckled again and shook his head.

Grinning, I ate some of my burger before replying. "Yeah well, I'm writing a romance novel, so you can't cut out my research," I pointed out after swallowing my bite of food. "But other than Italy, where were you thinking of going," I asked. I really couldn't see us being too far from the whole family that we loved.

My husband shrugged his shoulders some. "Italy was really all I was going for. If you want somewhere in the states, Princess, we'll have to decide that one together," he replied with a wink.

Nodding my head, I finished my coffee. "Well, we have a whole country to look through," I replied with a smile before taking another bite of my food.

Suddenly the front door opened and a whole bunch of loud talking filled the house. "Hey, love birds," Angelo sang as he walked in with Amelia at his side. The rest of the family soon trickled into the kitchen behind them.

"Hey, crazy kids," I replied back with a smile and a wave. "Have fun at the market," I asked them all, making Gabby snort in a very unladylike  manner.

Gabby than began calling out offenses,  as if she were a disgruntled judge. "These two were sucking each other's faces off the whole time like an octopus and its prey," she groused as she pointed over to Angelo and Amelia, who looked away sheepishly. "This one is moody because he can't get a girlfriend," she added as she pointed to Drake, who's jaw immediately dropped. "And this one is still whining like a five year old," she threw up her hands after pointing to Georgio. "The only rational one was Francois," she finally concluded as she kissed her fiancè's cheek.

Georgio grimaced and rubbed his chest "Mom, I'm in pain," he replied with a whine, which we all knew was hogwash.

Gabby narrowed her eyes at her son then. "You were shot months ago! But if you keep this up, I'll shoot you again myself and make an honest man out of you," Gabby replied shortly, making me choke on my coffee. "In pain! You know who's in pain? Me! You're a constant pain in my ass," Gabby then yelled at her son. I was now on the verge of howling out in laughter. The eldest Corvello frowned at his mother, while his sons choked back laughter right along with me.

And that's how it was with our family. We were blunt, we were brutally honest and we loved each other to the moon and back. So when it came time for Gio and I to finally move away to Oregon, my heart felt a bit heavy. "Oh stop with the moping! We're not that far away," Gabby stated as she patted my cheek.

I offered a pathetic half smile to her. "I know, it's just that I've grown so used to everyone being around. It's going to be such a big change for me," I stated sadly.

Gabby scoffed at me and rolled her eyes. "I'll gladly let you stay here while I move into a cabin in the woods with my grandson," she teased as she patted my belly. "Plus, soon the baby will fill the house so much that it will feel like we're all there with you," she then said with a fond smile.

Laughing softly, I nodded my head. "You're right about that," I replied before giving her a big hug, trying to hide the tears in my eyes.

Gabby hugged me in return and patted my back gently. "Remember, if you have any questions, you call me. No matter the time," she reminded me as she pulled away and looked at me.

"I'm sure you'll be getting many calls from me," I stated with a smile as Gio brought out the last of our things to the truck.

After giving everyone hugs and one sad final glance, Gio and I were off on a new adventure of our own. It was bittersweet actually, but I knew we had to let go of our roots and grow wings of our own. The prospect of the unknown was terrifying, but one look at my husband and I knew that everything would be alright.

Looking back on my life, I always had love and that was the most important thing, even if it was added with lies and deception.

My life in the past year and a half had been a rollercoaster of emotions and turmoil, but all the events led me to this moment: Starting a new life and family with my loving husband, was completely worth it. What more could a girl ask for?

***

I want to thank everyone who has read this story or even reread this story.

Thank you for your comments, your encouragement and for adding me to your reading lists.

I appreciate you all and dedicate this book to you.

Thank you!