Chapter 26 - A Wedding Worth Waiting For

Christmas and New Years came with many well wishes and hopes for happiness in the year to come. As a certainly welcomed surprise, Francois had proposed to Gabby on New Year's Eve and even though it was a bit cliche, she still said yes to all of our surprise. Gabby was certainly a hopeless romantic through and through, that was certainly proven any time Francois was around her.

It was now almost February and here I was, almost done planning my own wedding to Gio. Gabby was beside me the whole way, but right now, she was helping me with the finishing touches. The invitations were sent and everything was moving forward flawlessly, as planned. The one thing that worried me though was the fact that Michael Romano and his family were still at large. They got away with murder, literally, and now they were somewhere in the world, waiting in the wings to get me.

A hand was waving in front of my face, and I realized that Gabby had been talking to me. "Ganessa, are you listening to me," she then asked, pulling me completely away from my errant thoughts.

I blinked my eyes a few times as I stared at her. "Hmm," I hummed softly, admitting that I hadn't been fully listening, or listening at all actually.

A soft tsking sound left her mouth as she looked at me. "When is your final fitting for your gown," she then asked again with a gentle smile. Gabby was a very generous and sweet woman, but she was also feisty and a handful at times.

Smiling at the woman I had grown to consider my own grandmother, I replied, "Tomorrow at noon."

The wedding was just a few days away and I could see that Gabby wasn't pleased with the idea of having to wait one extra day for my dress. "And what about everything else, are you sure the deliveries are all set to go," she asked in a very worried voice. I had always thought the brides were supposed to he the nervous ones, not the grandmothers.

Chuckling, I nodded my head. "Yes, even though Valentine's day is quite a busy day, they've all assured me that everything will be delivered on time," I replied with a warm smile. Yes, even though Valentine's Day was a cliché day to be married on, I just had to snatch it up anyway.

We had moved our living location, yet again, out to their vineyard in Napa Valley. While I wasn't fond of leaving the cabin, I was definitely okay with the choice of the new location. It was a stunning property with vineyards for miles. This location would also be able to play host to the couple hundred people who were planning on attending the union of Gio and myself. I wasn't even sure who a majority of those people were, but I knew they were important to the Corvello family, so I didn't argue too much over it.

The following few days rushed by in a flurry of events, final fittings and tastings. It honestly felt like I was in a dream and just going along for the ride. I was whisked here and there, just giving Gabby the reigns. I think she took more joy in this than I did, because she was secretly also planning her own future wedding. Not that I minded that at all.

As my wedding day hit, my nerves began to get the better of me. Memories of the last time I was supposed to get married flooded my mind. Memories of when I watched the first man I was going to marry, murder someone right in front of my eyes, it certainly took a toll on me. Then of course, I was kidnapped, adding to the fun of that day just months ago. However, now looking back on it, I was actually grateful that the Corvello's had kidnapped me. If they hadn't, who knows how that day would have panned out.

While some thought Gio and I were  rushing into things by getting married so quickly, I thought differently. If you're head over heels in love with someone, why wait? We had seen each other at our absolute worst and our absolute. best, there were no secrets between us. Therefore, I saw no point in prolonging the inevitable.

I felt a gentle tug on my hair and winced with a yelp. "Stop fidgeting so I can get these pins into your hair without hurting you," Gabby gently chided as she rubbed the now tender spot on my head.

I hadn't realized that I actually was fidgeting and I immediately stopped moving completely. "Sorry, Grams," I stated sheepishly as she got back to work on my hair.

Angelo, whom I had made my official Male of Honor, rushed in and smiled as soon as he saw me. "You look gorgeous. My brother had damn well better know how lucky he is to have you," he said with a wide grin.

I chuckled softly at that, because it easily could have been me and Angelo getting married today instead, had the circumstances gone differently. Even Gio was well aware of that little fact and I think it made him appreciate me more."I'm sure he knows," I replied with a smile as he kissed my cheek, making Gabby curse in Italian because I had unintentionally moved again.

I apologized again profusely as Angelo  walked back towards the door and smiled. "I actually wanted to introduce you two to my date," he then stated as he waved a woman into the room.

Both Gabby and I turned and looked at the striking redhead walking in. She had big green doe eyes and full pouty lips I noticed as she walked in and stood beside Angelo, she was simply gorgeous. "This is Amelia," he then announced proudly as he wrapped his arm around her.

"Pleasure to meet you," I said as I slowly held my hand out to her, so Gabby didn't yell at me again for moving. Gabby growled in annoyance, but allowed the small gesture, before going quite.

Amelia walked over to us with a bright smile on her face. "The pleasure is truly mine," she replied sweetly as she took my hand and shook it.

I was pretty sure Gabby was having an aneurism at that point, since she had grown quiet and remained that way. "Why haven't we met her sooner," she suddenly cried from behind me, making me jump in surprise. She then reached over and pulled the unsuspecting woman into a tight embrace.

Angelo chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Well, I wanted to prepare her for meeting you all," he replied, which I actually believed. The Corvello's were definitely a lot to take in.

Gabby however, looked affronted at the very idea that Angelo would wait so long to introduce her to everyone. "Amelia, welcome to the family," Gabby then said as she let the woman go and began doting on my hair once more.

After what seemed like an eternity, Drake came back to us and announced that everyone was ready to go, making my nerves begin to shake, rattle and roll once more. I knew this time was vastly different than the last- for one thing, I was head over heels in love with the man I was about to marry this time and nothing could change that. Smiling, I took my bouquet from Angelo and nodded for him to go ahead so Georgio could come in and walk me down the aisle.

It didn't take long for Georgio to come back and gently take hold of my arm. He offered a genuine smile to me as we began walking. Soft music filled the air outside as Georgio and I headed down the flowered path, towards the front where Gio and everyone else were waiting for us.

For me. He's waiting for me. That thought made me smile.

However, as soon as I saw Gio standing at the front, staring at me, my eyes never left his and my smile only brightened more. The walk suddenly seemed to take forever to get from the back of the runner and up to Gio. I wanted to drop Georgio's arm and sprint up the aisle, but I knew that wasn't a possibility. When we had finally made it, I handed my flowers off to Angelo and Gio immediately took hold of my hands as the minister began the ceremony with an opening prayer.

I vaguely remembered all of the words said during the ceremony, I just know I spoke up at the appropriate times as I stared lovingly at my very soon to be husband. "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Kiss your bride," he then announced proudly as cheers eruptedall around up. Without missing a beat, Gio pulled me into the most tender yet passionate kiss we had ever shared.

Our moment was shattered though abruptly however, when shots rang out and people began screaming and running for the house in a panic. Gio pulled me to the ground quickly, before covering my body with his. He immediately looked around at the chaos, trying to make sense of what was going on. I spotted a pair of boots coming up to us before stopping right in front of us. "Well, well. I didn't get a gift. Gee, I hope that's okay," A voice mocked as a gun was pressed to my head.