Capter 9 - The Farce Begins

We finally drove into the city, a couple hours later, and up to a ferry that would take us on a tour of the city via the river Thames. It definitely would have been romantic, had I not been in the company of four mafia men, two of which wanted to kill me. They took some seats on deck, while I headed over to the rail and leaned against it to take in the scenery. I was a little miffed that I didn't have a camera so I could capture it all, but I would live. Actually, I was happy to be alive. At any given moment, any of the four men could have killed me easily, but they didn't. Obviously mostly that was because they wanted the money, but still, they could have easily done it.

"Why are you standing so close to me," I then asked Gio who had casually strolled over and was now practically shoulder to shoulder with me.

He leaned in close and it made my heart race, I hated that my body liked him being close to me. "Listen, my father is up to something," he then said to me in a hushed voice.

YA THINK!?

I rolled my eyes as I looked over at him. "Yeah, I already figured that one out all by myself. Thanks," I stated as I turned my head and went back to looking out at the sights.

From somewhere in his chest, Gio let out a growl of annoyance. "We think he's trying to set you up to be kidnapped again," he then said, making my head snap up.

Oh no. We aren't doing that again.

I leaned in close to him and gave him my full attention. "Okay, you have my attention. Why would you think that," I asked just as Daddy Mob Boss walked up.

"Think what," Georgio asked smoothly as he leaned his back against the rail beside his son.

Ah shit.

My eyes locked with Gio's in that moment and I knew I had to act fast. I could not be kidnapped again. Who knows if the next ones would let me live? "That he's in love with me," I blurted out without even thinking.

Both men simultaneously said, "What?" and it would have been comical had they both not been looking murderously at me.

I gave Gio an apologetic look when his father's gaze moved away from me. "Son," Georgio then said as his attention and gaze moved to Gio. He didn't sound angry, per say, but shocked was definitely an emotion I could sense he was feeling.

Gio glanced at my face, which probably screamed JUST GO ALONG WITH IT! I was desperate! "Yeah... I mean, we've been spending so much time together lately in these past couple of days, it's hard not to fall for her," he then stated smoothly, although he gave me a look of pure contempt. I almost felt bad. Almost.

Georgio looked thoughtful for a moment as he looked between the two of us. He then grinned. Remember the Grinch when he got his grinchy idea to ruin Christmas? That was Georgio's grin. It was unsettling and made me want to jump it the river Thames just to get my foot out of my mouth. "Well then, this is a celebration. After all, it's been far too long since you've let anyone in, Giovanni," he stated, making Gio cringe. Clearly Daddy Dearest had touched a nerve.

"Yes," Gio stated shortly. "Too long, father," the venom in his voice could have killed an elephant and it made me curious about the story behind it. Not that I would dare ask such a thing.

"Hopefully this one will end better," Georgio then said as he patted his son's shoulder in a sympathetic gesture.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Georgio then turned and gave me a smile. The smile seemed authentic and dare I say, Hopeful. That's strange. "We'll go have a celebratory dinner then later. Have fun, you two love birds," he then added as he walked off.