Chapter 22 - Don't Shoot

My head was throbbing and I wondered if I had hit it on something when I fell from my little fainting spell. Perhaps it was just from me hitting the floor? Either way, it was hurting fiercely. "Give her space! Stop crowding her," I faintly heard Gio yelling at everyone in the room. A minute later something cool and wet touched my forehead making my eyes flutter open in surprise and confusion. The first face I saw was Gio's worried one as he lifted my head into his lap and dabbed my forehead with a cool wet washcloth.

More blurry images of worried faces looming over me soon became evident. They were standing over my body that was half laying on the floor and half in Gio's lap, making me flinch a bit. I smiled weakly at them all in a reassuring manner. "I'm okay," I croaked as Gio helped me into a sitting up position.

My guilt was already at an all time high over this whole fiasco and I knew I had to fix this situation quickly before it too got out of hand, adding onto the gigantic lie I was already living in. "Guys, I'm not pregnant," I then said quickly before anyone got their hopes up. Better to get the truth out now than to prolong it. Plus, I was pretty sure they'd notice the lack of a baby bump eventually. There was disappointment written on all the faces in the room at that news and I wanted to crawl into a hole and just die. "I'm so sorry," I muttered softly, feeling completely bad and obscenely guilty for the egregious misunderstanding.

Gio rubbed my back gently and smiled at me. "It's okay, baby" he replied softly to me, making my heart leap a bit at the cute nickname. It was actually a very soothing action from him and had me looking over at him with a smile of my own. To everyone in that room, we looked like the perfect loving couple, which only added more fuel to my guilt meter.

Gabby then cleared her throat, bringing all of our attention to her. "Don't be sorry, dear. These things happen. Although, you can always keep trying! After all, half the fun in getting there is trying," she then chimed in with a wiggle of her eyebrows and a sweet smile. I wanted to smile back, but shame and guilt were holding me hostage at the moment. The best I could offer was a weak smile and an equally weak laugh.

My cheeks were suddenly quite heated and I quickly looked away from the group to save myself from more embarrassment and even more guilt. Georgio then chuckled and patted my shoulder gently as he walked by to leave the room. The guilt I had tried to keep at bay was now eating me alive and I wasn't sure how much longer we could keep up with this lie. Too many people were invested now and they would all end up being severely hurt all because of me.

That's right, because of you. You did this and now look where it's gotten you. A family that loves you and a man who treats you like a goddess.

BUT IT'S NOT REAL! I had to chide myself, before my thoughts ran away from me and I backed out of telling Gio that this had to end.

Slowly and with the help of Gio, I got up from the floor and smiled weakly at everyone as he ushered me towards the dining room for some juice and something to eat at Gabby's request. That's the thing about Italian grandmas, their fix for everything was food. Gabby headed into the kitchen and returned quickly before setting a sandwich and a cup of juice down in front of me. She and Gio then waited patiently while I ate and drank.

Taking up the sandwich, I took a bite and smiled at Gabby. "Thank you," I muttered through a bite of my food. I wasn't really hungry, but I wasn't not hungry either, so I ate half of the sandwich and drank all of the juice to help raise my blood sugar and make her happy.

Make her happy before I rip her heart out when she finds out this was a lie or Georgio kills me. Whichever came first.

Once I was through, I thanked Gabby again with an added hug and kiss to the cheek before being led upstairs by Gio. I flopped onto the bed with a groan and looked over at him. "Gio, I'm not sure how much longer we can keep up this charade," I whispered to him as he sat down beside me.