Chapter 5 - Alias

The waves crashing to the shore of the beach had pulled me into false ideas of peace and solitude. The gentle sounds of them crashing to shore and pulling away filled me with ease, and I found that this was my happy place. Momentarily it had made me even forget that I had been kidnapped, although that moment was very short lived as yelling soon erupted from behind me. "What the hell are you doing," Gio bellowed from halfway down the beach. I would have told him to shut up before he woke the neighbors, but there weren't any around for miles.

Closing my eyes and heaving out a sigh, I got up and dusted myself free of the sand that was clinging to me, well as best as possible anyway. "I was exploring. I didn't realize that was a crime. Did you think that I would try to swim away or perhaps bury myself in the sand," I asked with a very dramatic eye roll as I began walking in his direction. Had I thought about running? Well obviously who wouldn't? The question was, where would I go? There was no civilization around, as I had noted earlier. Not to mention that I was dressed in nothing more than a man's dress shirt and boxers, and the only shoes I had were heels, which weren't even on my feet. If I tried to run I'd look like a hooker or an escaped mental patient. Neither were something I wanted to be associated with.

As usual, Gio did not look the least bit amused by me. The grouch. "You need to run stuff like that by me first, princess," he stated gruffly, and from the sound of it, his voice sounded thick with sleep. His once neatly groomed hair was disheveled and he was wearing a T-shirt and pajama bottoms. Someone had pulled him away from a peaceful slumber to snitch on me.

My eyes narrowed as I scrutinized him. "It is the middle of the night! You were sleeping. How did you even know I had left," I asked pointedly and a little annoyed at the snitch who had clearly ratted me out. Why should I have to tell him about everything I decided to do?

He could kill you if you don't, the pesky voice in my brain reminded me.

"The guard watching the cameras alerted me," he replied lazily as if it were supposed to be common knowledge to me that I was being watched. How comforting.

I should have known though to be honest. Why wouldn't kidnappers have cameras and security everywhere? We had guards at our house too, but I had just assumed it was because of our money. Now I saw that it was obviously a mafia freaky control thing. "Oh okay cool, so you're a stalker," I bit out sarcastically as I crossed my arms over my chest and looked up at him with narrowed eyes.

That sentiment made Gio's head fall back in laughter, surprising me, since I had no idea he even knew how to laugh at something that wasn't in relation to me getting bodily injured. "I'm no stalker, princess. I'm just keeping a close eye on my investment," he then stated smugly. Which loosely translated in my mind to: still a stalker, only with a purpose.

Rolling my eyes, I began heading back towards the house again. The very idea of breaking free from this family was becoming more like a delusion than an actual possibility. "Whatever, stalker," I stated once I was far enough away from him so he couldn't tackle me into the water and drown me. It may have been my imagination, but I thought I heard another laugh come from him.

I had always considered myself a pretty resourceful girl. Creative and sneaky, to be exact. However, getting kidnapped puts new clarity and perspective in your eyes and makes you realize just how vulnerable and lame you really are. How come my father never taught me anything useful, like how to combat chloroform or how to take down three armed men with ease? If kidnapping was big in mafia land, how come he never taught me how to fight or at least fire one of his many guns? Instead, he just saw it prudent to have my mother teach me how to be a good submissive wife, a weak woman. Don't get me wrong, I never saw my mother as weak when I was growing up, but now I realized that she bent over backwards for every whim of my father with no questions asked.