Chapter 20 - I'm not a lumberjack

Wind howling outside of the window the following morning had successfully woken me up. I realized that I was under the covers with my shoes off, wrapped in Giovanni's arms. My head was rested on his chest and I could hear the gentle thumping of his heart and his slow breathing. It surprised me how comfortable I felt like this and how much I actually liked it. However, I couldn't let myself enjoy this. This was bad. If I let myself fall, it would be that much harder to get myself out of this already messy and very sticky situation I had put myself in. Slowly, I managed to untangle myself from Gio, slide out of the bed and then I made a beeline to the bathroom to do my business before heading downstairs to the kitchen for a much needed cup of coffee.

Georgio and Gabby were already awake and sitting in the dining room talking and drinking coffee as I strolled past them to get to the kitchen. "Good morning," they both greeted me in unison. Smiling, I greeted them back before going into the kitchen to get my coffee.

As I headed back out to join them at the table Gabby asked, "Ganessa, would you like to help me with breakfast?" 

I was pretty sure that no one could refuse a request from Gabby, she was just too sweet and loveable. "I'd love to, just let me have my liquid motivation first," I replied with a grin, making the older woman chuckle and nod her okay.

After we finished our coffee, Gabby and I headed into the kitchen to make up a hearty breakfast for everyone. "Pop, a big snowstorm is coming. You, Angelo and Grams should go into town to do some shopping for food and supplies," Gio announced as he headed into the kitchen with us for some coffee of his own. "Me, Drake and Ganessa will go and chop down a few trees," he then stated, making me question his sanity.

Last time I checked, I was not a lumberjack. Nor was I partial to exposing myself to negative degree weather for some trees.

Chopping trees was not something I ever wanted to do and add to the fact that it was freezing outside? Nope, I wasn't too sold on going out on that adventure. "Shouldn't Angelo go with you and I go with your dad and grams," I then asked with a raised brow. "I'm not really into the whole lumberjacking scene," I added as I flipped some sausage in the pan and left it to cook. "Plus, I would love to keep all my appendages on my body and not lose something to frostbite," I added as I moved over to the coffee pot began getting ready to make another pot of hot coffee to emphasize my point.

Gio walked over and kissed my cheek with a chuckle. "I figured you'd want to pick out the Christmas tree for this year," he replied before turning his attention to the coffee pot and pouring himself the rest of the first batch of coffee.

That simple statement had changed my view on everything. My eyes widened and my mouth fell open into an 'O'. "I've never had a real tree," I finally exclaimed in complete and utter excitement. "Yes, I'll go for sure," I added, making Gabby chuckle beside me.

Gio smiled softly as he winked at me and left with his coffee. "Dress very warmly and don't let them make you chop wood, it's hard work," Gabby stated as we finished up cooking and began to put the food into serving dishes before we brought them out to the table.

After a filling breakfast, we all headed off in our separate ways. We bid goodbye to the others as we headed into the woods in search of the perfect tree. The ground was still laiden with snow from the previous night and the air was downright freezing, making me quickly second guess this whole endeavor. Sure, I was bundled head to toe and thankful for it, but the clouds above made the temperature drop to downright frigid, and the frozen wind nipped harshly at our exposed skin. "We need firewood and a Christmas tree," Gio then announced as he looked up at the sky. "And we better make it quick too, because the storm seems to be moving faster than we had anticipated," he added, making me nervous to even be out here.