Prologue: a Queen's Deal

-----------The Seelie Court--------

"Is it ready?" the Seelie Queen inquires of her subjects whom were preparing a portal into one of her dimensions.

"We are mere seconds from opening a portal into this dimension my queen," the seelie Meliorn confirms. "Very good," the Seelie Queen nods.

Sure enough a portal opens in the middle of the court. The queen stands before the portal, an expressionless look as she gazes through.

Within moments a human figure was pulled through the portal from the dimension on the other side right in the middle of the Seelie court. Standing before them was a mage, a beautiful one at that. The mage looked around dazed and very confused as to where she was and who or what was possibly powerful enough to pull through such a portal.

"Greetings, mage, I welcome you to my court, " the Seelie Queen speaks to the wayward mage, who turns to face her as if prepared for a fight, "Be at ease, we mean you no harm," the queen assures, "I know you must have so many questions to ask, so allow me to explain. My subjects have brought you through this dimension-" "from the portal you have conjured up," the mage finishes, "yes, I know, I am aware." "You seem to know of such things," the queen states. "I know how dangerous it is to open dimensional portals and risk breaking the laws of chaos," the mage glares, "breaking such rules may very well risk havoc in both our dimensions." "Chaos has no law, it is simply chaos," the Seelie queen says. "All the more reason why one should never mess with such forces," the mage counters, "regardless of the risks, I sense there is a crucial reason you've brought me here."

"You catch on fast," the queen compliments, "very well, let us not beat around the bush. We require your services. As you can see portals to your dimension require magic in order to be opened. As a conduit of magic, or chaos as you call it, you are the reason why you are here, why we were able to open the portal in the first place."

The portal suddenly closes, "unfortunately these portals can only be opened temporarily when magic is used from one side. However, if we can access magic from both sides the opening can be more permanent."

"You need my magic to open up a permanent portal from the other side," the mage realizes, "why?" "Let's just say it is necessary in order to hold up a certain end of a bargain we made with certain people in this dimension," the Seelie queen carefully words, "a bargain that will allow them to travel between our dimensions when they wish to do so."

The mage eyes the queen and looks around. She knew very little of this dimension, but she knew well enough that these elf like creatures were withholding crucial information from her.
"I do not know this place, nor do I know you. I will not help you and risk unleashing chaos in this world or mine," was the mage's answer.

As the mage was about to leave, the queen speaks up, "what if I were to tell you that if you were to help us, we could give you whatever your heart desires above all else?" The mage stopped in her tracks, turning to face the queen,  "after all magic in this dimension works completely different from yours," the queen continues, "is it not worth looking for a solution here?"
"what do you possibly know of my desires?" The mage glares.

The Seelie queen smiles, a hint of evil in her eyes, "I know everything there is to know about you Yennefer of Vengerburg. I know who you are, what you are looking for and, provided you help us complete our bargain, we shall help you with this search."

The mage, Yennefer, thinks for a moment before answering, "what must I do?"