Chapter 22

The halls were deserted of students, only the faint sound of chatting came from some of the paintings that hung proudly on the walls of the castle, decorating the grey stone behind them. The candles lighting the way were slowly dimming as the night dragged on.

I took my time wandering silently up the stares eavesdropping on a particular painting suggesting that someone has been snooping around the room of requirement recently, I had only ever been in the room of requirement for Dumbledore's Army, I can't imagine why anyone would want to sneak around there.

As I reached the 4th floor corridor leading to the Ravenclaw common room I hear light footsteps chasing up the stairs behind me.

"Hey Ana." I turn just as Draco makes it to the last step. "I thought I told you to wait?"

"I did, and you took your sweet time." I fire back amused at his panting.

"Snape had a word with me, he insisted."

"About..?"

"Noting important," He shook his head, brushing off the question as if he were hiding something, I can't help but begin to wonder if he is keeping secrets from me, that he isn't telling me things that are important.

"Here Merry Christmas." He said distracting me from my thoughts. He handed over a small brown box tied with a scruffy ribbon, "I was supposed to give it to you this morning but better late than never."

"Draco I can't, I... I didn't get you anything."

"Just shut up and take it." He said taking my hand and wrapping it tightly around the present.

"You really didn't need to..."

"What did I just say?" He cut me off not taking no for an answer.

"Ok..." I say flattered, I delicately untie the messy ribbon and open the box, inside a plain gold bracelet sat brightly on deep green tissue paper.

"It's beautiful, thank you" I say picking it up, before I could put it on Draco snatches it and places it around my wrist himself. I held my arm up, admiring the bracelet against my skin when suddenly a tiny gold star shone bright and attached onto the chain.

I watched in amazement. "Care to explain?" I asked curiously laughing at the new found charm.

"It's charmed to grow a new star whenever the relationship between the person who wears it and the person who puts it on you grows closer. It has the date on the back from whatever made the bond stronger that day." He explained, "My grandfather taught me the charm when I was young and turns out I remember it."

I stood in awe, eyes wide and cheeks turning red "It's amazing, it really is, I can't thank you enough." This is probably the most thoughtful present I've ever received in my life. If not so reluctant to cry, I would've shed a few tears by now.

"Don't worry about it, it's getting late and Filch is roaming around, I should get you back to your common room." He says taking my hand in his and intertwining our fingers.

"How did your grandfather know the spell." I ask on the way.

"He found it in an old book, he tried it out on a necklace and gave it to my grandmother."

"What were they like?" I smiled up at him as I watched him talk passionately about his grandparents, how they met when his grandfather knocked his grandmother off her broom whilst playing quidditch at Hogwarts when they were teens, how they became childhood sweethearts and soon had three daughters, one of them his mother. It was fascinating hearing him talk about them.

I decided to avoid asking about their more than likely muggle-born hatred, seeing how Draco spoke so highly of them almost made all of that unimportant.