CHAPTER 10

When I get to Magg's I see Milli and Simon already sitting there in a booth. I smile and walk over to them to give them a hug and then we do our handshake. "I'll be right back." I tell them and go to the staff room.

When I am outside again, I want to greet Susan but am quick to realize that she clearly has her mind elsewhere when she doesn't greet me back. I mimic her frown and call out her name. Her head snaps up to mine and away from her phone.

"Oh. Hi Hailey." She goes in for a light hug and then stares at her phone again. I take that as my cue to simply not bother her until she wants to talk. I get myself my daily coffee and croissant and go over to Milli and Simon.

Not even before I get to sit down properly Susan slams her phone onto the counter and sighs. Then she grabs the coffee in front of her and walks over to us. I scoot over to make room for her, and she slumps down next to me.

"Men are trash." She sighs.

"I second that." I say.

"I third that." Milli chimes in.

"Hey!" Simon shouts looking highly offended.

"Okay there are some exceptions." I tell him, holding back my smile.

"Thank you." He says and takes a sip of his coffee.

"So why exactly are men trash?" I ask Susan and Simon shoots me a glare.

"You remember Chase?" I nod. I am pretty good with names.

"Well we hooked up and now he's completely ghosting me. Like- Ugh!" She lets out a frustrated groan and I look at Milli and Simon.

They both give me a nod.

I quickly connect my phone with the speakers in the café and turn up Cardi B's song Money, push Susan out of the booth and into the middle of the floor. There is a lot of free space between the counter and the entrance which is just perfect for what is about to happen.

This is another ritual of ours. Whenever someone is in a really bad mood, we turn up the music and dance to it. Most times it ends with us shouting to the lyrics but that just makes it more fun.

We are a little family of rituals and traditions.

Susan looks at us like we're crazy when we start dancing around her. Trying to hype her up. And eventually, it works.

Luckily there aren't any older customers in here. Just a few teenagers who seem to quite like our show out here.

The next song comes up and we are having the time of our life. Standing there and hyping each other up.

The refrain to Rihanna's song S&M is the best. Even some of the other teens join us.

When the song comes to an end, we are all out of breath and I disconnect my phone from the speakers and let the normal light jazz music play again.

The four of us are still laughing when we hear a wolf whistle.

"Chase?" Susan asks awestruck.

I chuckle and push her towards him and whisper, "Go and get your man."

She definitely has a bad influence on me, but I don't care one bit.

***

When I get home it's too quiet for my liking. Usually Joey would be sitting on the couch now, watching TV or simply be on his phone.

No one is here except for me. Now's the moment where I need a cat or a dog.

And I know that this is not going to happen anytime soon.

I walk upstairs and change my jeans and blouse for my favourite pair of grey sweats and a simple, white tank top and open my laptop to write the essay for my English class.

It's already half past eight when I finally close my laptop and run my hand through my hair. I quickly throw it into a messy bun and walk downstairs to make myself dinner. Mom and Dad are sitting on the couch but don't acknowledge my presence at all. No 'Hi Hailey, how was school?' or no 'Did you have a good day?'. Ever since I got into high school they started asking or greeting me less and less. Mom occasionally talks to me about school and my grades, but I can't even remember when the last time was that I had a real conversation with Dad. The only time he ever talks to me is when I did something wrong. Other than that, he acts as if I don't even exist and I don't know why or what I did wrong. I should get him a therapist as birthday present. Family therapy would work too.

My stomach grumbles when I see the chicken nuggets and fries in front of me. Not healthy but I seriously didn't want to wait another half an hour until my food is ready.

I take a seat at the counter and lean my phone against the vase to watch SUITS on Netflix while I eat.

An hour later my face hits the pillow and sleep pulls me in quickly.