CHAPTER 17

I sprint down the stairs when I hear the doorbell ring and open the front door for Milli and Simon.

"You guys seriously need a house key." I joke.

I take my keys out of the bowl and shut the door behind me. The three of us walk to Simon's Jeep. I sit in the passenger seat and Milli in the back. She connects her phone to the radio, and we roll all windows down completely and Simon open the roof window too.

It's never too early for car-jam-sessions. Never.

When we get to school, there aren't many people. I mean- it's eight o'clock, so school doesn't start until another thirty minutes. Simon parks his car near the entrance, and we go inside.

The secretary, Mrs Burble, gives them their schedules and luckily I have every class with them, except for first period art and last period calculus. That's not bad. And even their lockers are opposite of mine.

Mrs Burble then tells me, that I can give them a little tour and be excused for art class. Not gonna miss an opportunity to give my best friends the funniest tour and still be excused.

Bullder High is not that big, so it doesn't take long for Milli and Simon to get the hang of where everything is located.

The cafeteria is our last stop and I sweet talk the lunch lady into giving the two of them free chocolate muffins. We sit on one table in the corner for a while.

"When are we gonna meet your friends?" Simon asks and I roll my eyes. "First of all, not friends. Second to answer your question, you'll probably meet them at lunch." I tell him and he nods.

We talk until the bell rings and I walk with them to their first official class.

P.E.

That's going to be fun.

***

I turn a corner and see the familiar light blue doors of the cafeteria. Unlike in the morning, my stomach churns. I've been dreading this moment for the past few hours. I don't want to see Noah. I don't want to sit with Anna, Sara or Gillian. Or anyone else who is not Milli and Simon for that matter. I've never had this much fun at school or even felt this much at peace.

Before I know it, Simon is holding the doors open for us and we step inside. It's filled with students chatting and I look around, holding my breath. I spot our usual table and release my breath again when Noah and Liam aren't sitting there. Instead, they're sitting with the basketball players now. I lead Milli and Simon to the table and sit down with each of them on one side of me.

"Guys." I say to catch everyone's attention. "This are Milli and Simon. My best friends, who will be attending Bullder High for the next few weeks."

Everyone introduces themselves except for Anna. She's busy whispering something in Elliot's ear, making him chuckle.

I clench my fists. Something about it ticks me off. I want to sit next to him and make him laugh. I want to have his attention.

What the actual fuck?

NO! I DON'T WANT THAT! What tricks is my mind playing on me?

Tyler asking them why they are here in the middle of the school year brings me back to reality.

"It's not like Elliot didn't do the same thing." I mutter a little bit too loud. And a little bit too harsh.

Elliot's head turns to me and he frowns. Anna shoots me a death glare. Milli, Simon and Tyler laugh, and Gillian and Sarah seem like they've been too busy looking at Simon to even hear what I've said.

My eyes remain on Elliot's and I say, "What? I mean- It's not a lie. You did transfer schools in the middle of the year."

"Yeah but you say it like you don't want me to be here." Elliot says. His frown getting bigger.

Yes, I don't want him here. Next to Anna, in particular.

I shrug, "Maybe because it's true."

Okay, where did that come from?

I want him here. What the hell am I saying?

"Listen. I know that you are mad and all tense because of what N-" he catches himself and I glare. "But you don't have to push me away every damn time." He continues and I raise my voice a little bit, "Who said something about pushing you away?! This is not me pushing you away. This is me telling the truth."

"I know that that's a lie. And you know it too." He answers and I laugh, "And you would know it because you know me so god damn well, don't you?"

He doesn't say anything. Instead, he stands up and walks away and out of the cafeteria.

"Okay.. Do you mind telling me what this all was about?" Tyler asks and I roll my eyes. "You do ask too many questions, Tyler."

"Yeah, obviously. That's because I care about him unlike you."

I glare. "Mind your own business."

"But why were or are you so angry at him?" Anna asks. Great. That's exactly what I needed, the people who don't know me at all and never bothered to get to know me now trying to figure me out.

"Because." I answer.

"You know that that's not an answer, Hailey." Anna says and I roll my eyes. Why is she so annoying right now?

"Okay and what did he mean by you pushing him away every time?" She asks again, now getting frustrated.

"It's nothing you need to worry about, Anna."

"I disagree. Like Tyler said, you obviously don't care about him or his feelings, but we do. So, I think it is something we need to worry about." She answers now glaring.

I put my hands up like I'm innocent.

"Don't worry Anna. I won't hurt the feelings of your precious Elliot again." I mock.

"So that's what this is about." Tyler suddenly says.

I turn to him, "What are you talking about?"

He leans back and smirks, "You're jealous. Of course. How didn't I notice this before? You looking almost afraid of sitting at this table when you were walking to us. You clenching your fists the entire time and you shooting daggers at Anna and Elliot.
You, Hailey, are jealous."

I can feel the others looking at me. And Anna glaring at me.

"Well of course Tyler. You've got me all figured out, don't you?" I reply sarcasm evident in my voice.

A sigh escapes my lips and grab my things.

"Come on guys lets go. The bell's about to ring in a few minutes anyway." I tell Milli and Simon and stand up.

I hear Simon mutter, "So much for no drama happening at this school."