CHAPTER 27

The last month was stressful. And exhausting. Finals have already started and I've been studying non-stop. Well only when I had dance practise- which was so fucking hard and on another level demanding- was that I got a break from school. I have two more finals this week and then I'm done with it in time for the dance competition which is set for the weekend.

Milli, Simon and I immediately decided to try out for a trio, but what they don't know, is that I'll be performing a solo. Like literally I will dance alone on this huge stage at this huge dance competition with so many talented people to compete with. What was I thinking? I had this one choreography that I danced in the photoshoot with Elliot- we got an A on that one assignment by the way- but I changed it slightly. Instead of doing the full choreo I let Joey's and in some way my old friend create me a remix and now the first part is to the original slow song, but the second part is a completely different hip hop dance and rhythm and speed and all that. Four choreographies to remember for one day. Again: What was I thinking?

Then we have another thing going on. As if this wasn't enough already. I got to the conclusion that I have a crush on Elliot. Like a crush that's always described on some Pinterest post by a teenage girl. One that will hopefully go away soon. I don't know how that could have happened but we had all those private and for me intimate moments together and I feel like- I don't know. I just feel like I'm crushing on him. But- again- I don't know. I don't think anyone could handle all the burdens that come with me if I can barely handle them myself.
That's the only reason that held me back from acting on this crush.

Abby hasn't been around that much since her finals have started too. So I had the house to myself almost all the time.

I am alone now too. Mom and Dad are on a business trip in Europe. No surprise here. They have been going there a lot these past few weeks.

I look at my history book and sigh. I need a break.

When I go through my Instagram feed, I see that Joey uploaded a new picture of him with some friends. They are at a bar or a night-club maybe, all of them holding a glass filled with alcohol I guess.

The caption explains everything. "Celebrating the newest milestone in my career with closest friends."

Ahhhhh. Yes. I totally forgot about that. Like everybody else I know, Joey was busy too this past month. He was working hard to get that promotion at his Job. I guess he reached his goal then.

Feeling the need to congratulate him personally, I decide to call him. Only to be disappointed when I hear his voicemail.

I check the post again. Huh. He posted it only a few minutes ago and the little green dot on the left side of his profile picture shows that he's active on Instagram now. Then why isn't he picking up?

I call him again and this time it goes straight to voicemail before the first ring is able to come through.

Guess that will leave me to text him instead.

H: Congrats on getting that promotion.
I wanted to call you and tell you personally, but you won't pick up.?
Still proud of u dude. :)

I shut my phone off on get back to my history book. After another hour of memorizing almost the entire book and my notes I call it a night and hope that everything will stay in my head for the exam tomorrow. After that it can make its way out again.

My stomach grumbles and I walk down the stairs to make myself dinner. Well, if you can even call that dinner. I just slice some vegetables and eat them with one of those cheese dips on the side. Weird combination, I know, but I have grown to love it.

The TV is running already, it has since I came home earlier today because I hate it when it's completely silent in the house or wherever I am at. Switching the channels I stop when I see that Brooklyn 99 is on now and watch it while I eat.

I don't know how much time has passed already but I'm hanging upside down now, still watching Brooklyn 99.

I hear my phone ringing loudly from upstairs and want to quickly make it up there because maybe it's Joey finally calling me back.

Of course, because I am hanging upside down I can't get up easily, so I just let myself plop down onto the ground with a loud thud and then sprint upstairs.

When I finally get upstairs the first call has already ended but the person is calling again now.

It's Elliot. I sigh instead of smiling like I usually do when I see his name on my phone screen.

"Hi." He says and I answer a mumbled hey back.

"You don't seem too happy to talk to me." He jokes but I can sense I hint of seriousness behind it.

"I just thought someone else was going to call me. Sorry. Why are you calling me anyway?"

"To check up on you. And to make sure you studied enough. And-"

"And what? Make sure I brushed my teeth? Got ready for bed? Ate my vegetables?" I finish for him and he laughs.

"Yes. Exactly that Hailey."

My mood is lifted immediately.

"Okay but in all seriousness. Why are you calling me this late?" I ask him and lie down on my bed.

"I don't know. Just felt like it." He says and I hold my swoon in. Moments like this made me like him in the first place.

There is a long pause before he says something again. "Do you want to come over tomorrow for a study-session with me?

"Sure. Your maths final is the day after tomorrow too, isn't it?" I ask even though I already know the answer to the question.

"Yes. When do you want to come over?" He asks and I think. Maggie gave me this and the past week off for school. We have been doing that for years now since she always tells me that my education is more important than a job. The same thing counts for Susan.

"We could go straight after school. You know. Get it done as soon as possible." I eventually answer.

"Sure. I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"See ya."

He hangs up first and I have a huge smile on my face.

I go over my history notes one more time and then get ready for bed. It's still kind of early but I just can't wait any longer. I want tomorrow to finally come.

Oh what a mistake that was.