CHAPTER 35

The next morning I wake up due to Milli literally laying on top of me and not being able to breath properly anymore. I shove her off successfully and she just turns around to continue to sleep. I unpluck my phone from the charger and check the time. It is 9 a.m.

My lock screen is full of notifications and I go through them one by one, saving up a special one for last. Which is from mom.

Your father left for England earlier. Please come home, Hailey.

I sigh. I guess I can't ignore her and the obvious elephant standing in the room forever.

With a groan I get out of Milli's rock hard bed and stretch my back until I hear something snap. Surprisingly my back felt a whole lot better after that horrible sound.

After that little stretch, I go to my bag to put my clothes back in. I almost forget the check that has fallen off the dresser and down onto the ground in the night. I look at it but quickly put that in too before I get the chance to think about what I could do right with all that money now.

Not rushing myself to get home at all I go downstairs to see that no one is up yet except for me and write a post it note, and stick it on the fridge, telling them that I already headed 'home'. I always write home in apostrophes when I slept over at Milli's or Simon's house, since they know that that place I grew up in is not that much of a home for me now. It hasn't been for a few years.

The walk is pretty lonely since I did not think of taking my headphones with me when I ran out of there. For once my overthinking brain does not entertain me either as it usually would and the only thing I can think about is if I need to get anything done for school until tomorrow.

When I reach the front door I hesitate a bit to knock, but eventually do it because I do not know any other way in without my keys. A few seconds after I knock, the door swings open in one quick, startling movement and mom is standing there in her satin pyjama and robe. "Hailey." She says and breaths out relived. I suddenly remember everything from three days ago again and my mind can only come up with one word: liar.

I push past her expectant figure and stomp up to my room. I stop in front of my bed when I see a letter with my name lying on it. The bag in my hand is replaced with the letter and I rip it open immediately. After I pick it up because my fidgeting hands dropped it, I begin to read.

Dear Hailey,

I know that everything came crushing down on you all of a sudden and that my way was not the right way to tell you about my existence and role that I want to play in your life. But how do you tell your daughter that has never seen nor heard about you, that you are her father? I do not think that there is actually a right or wrong way to spread the news. It never mattered to me how to tell you, the only thing that I always cared about was when I would simply get the chance to talk to you from father to daughter. Maybe that was where I went wrong in the first place. I should have considered the way I would affect you and your world instead of just focusing on my feelings and I sincerely apologise for that.
With me not staying long enough to see you again, I guess you are still wondering who the hell I actually am.
Well let's start with basics, shall we? My name is Mike Scott. I have been born, raised and still live in London. I have a wife – Marie – and a 4-year-old son – Joshua – who would love to meet you just as much as I did. Well maybe even more but I don't think that that is possible since I am already your biggest fan. :)
I met your mother when I went on vacation in the united states a long time ago. She never told me about already being married and didn't tell me about having you as our daughter until a year ago.
I am sad about not getting another chance to see you in person, but I did watch your performance last night. Even though you have a new hair colour – which by the way suits you a lot in my opinion– I still recognised you the moment you walked onto that stage. To see a girl so young be this passionate about something really is an inspiration for everybody and I already am proud of you.
I want you to know that I am here for you now, even if I wasn't the past years of your life.
If there is anything you need, please never hesitate to call me.
Love,
Mike