CHAPTER 12

I open my closet to find something to wear for my 'hangout' with Elliot. He still hasn't told me where we are going, but he said that I should wear something comfortable and he will pick me up at 5 p.m. At first, I didn't want him to pick me up at my house in case Abby would be at home or Mom and Dad but if I told him to pick me up anywhere else he would get suspicious and ask questions and we all know that that's the last thing that I want.

So here I am, picking out my outfit at half past four. I decided to start half an hour earlier because I don't want to be in a rush when I get ready. Yes, I am going to get ready. It's not like I will do a full-face-make-up or anything like that. Just enough to look somewhat presentable for the outside world.

I decide on my favourite pair of skinny jeans, they are cut off at the bottom which makes my legs look really good with sneakers, and a black off-shoulder top.

I pair it with my gold necklace that I got from Milli and Simon for my birthday last year. It's a little gold heart which has our initials engraved in it and below that there's a little cross. It means that we would die for each other. Both of them have it too. I stare a little while at my necklace and wonder what they would say if they knew my plans for tonight. Milli would probably start to do a happy dance and Simon would question where Hailey went. I laugh as I picture them fighting about my 'hang-out' next. Milli being too enthusiastic and Simon being genuinely concerned.

Sitting on the floor in front of my mirror with a smile on my face, I plug my curling wand in and start to curl my hair. I think of Susan and what she is doing right now. She covered for me so that I don't have to go to work today and get to hang out with Elliot. I smile even more. She's the best college girl that I have ever met. Not that I know any other college girls put my point here is clear.

I finish curling my hair and comb it with my fingers. It looks more like beach waves but I wanted to do something different today than my usual straight hair.

Just when I finish putting my phone, keys, wallet and mints in my purse, I hear a honk from outside. I guess that's Elliot.

I quickly slip into my white sneakers, take my jean jacket from its hook and go outside to be greeted with the same black Mercedes from the first day Elliot came to school.

When I open the passenger door, Elliot is on his phone, texting someone. He quickly hits 'send' and then turns to look at me.

"Hi." He says.

"Hi." I greet him back. I sit down and shut the door of the car.

"You um- you look nice." He tells me and I roll my eyes but still mutter a 'thanks'.

It's silent after he pulls out of my driveway and neither of us wants to start a conversation- or doesn't know what to talk about. The awkward silence starts getting on my nerves, so I ask, "Where are you taking me?"

He just shrugs, "I guess you'll have to find out." And then he smiles at me and I roll my eyes again. So far this is not going well at all.

Luckily the drive is short and after a few minutes we pull up to the bowling arcade that I've been going to since I was 6.

I smile, "Good choice." And with that I open the passenger door, not waiting for Elliot's response.

Inside the cashier greets me, "Hi Hailey. Long time no see."

I smile, "Hi George."

Elliot comes up from behind me and they give each other a nod.

Boys.

We take our shoes and go to bowling alley number 7. It's the alley that I always use here and it's in the middle of all the other alleys. A few rows down there are some boys from school- I think they're all in the football team- but I don't spare them anymore glances when I tie my shoelaces.

I stand up and see Elliot looking at them and them looking at him. I think they're having some kind of private conversation or something. Regardless I clear my throat and Elliot turns to me again. "Ladies first." He says and makes a gesture toward the bowling balls. I roll my eyes and take one and put my fingers through the holes. I haven't been here for a few months but still manage to get a strike and smirk at him.

We go on like that for a few more rounds and I start to get frustrated, not being able to really beat him because when I don't strike, he strikes and when he doesn't strike, I strike. It's been like that for the past hour and even George is now sitting behind us, rooting for me.

"Okay. Hear me out." Elliot says out of nowhere and I look at him, raising one eyebrow.

"I don't think one of us will win in the next hour."

I nod.

"Maybe we could get this to an End. We're gonna bowl at the same time and whoever strikes wins. The loser needs to pay for food afterwards."

I quickly think about it, not sure if I want to go eat with Elliot or even pay for the both of us. But I want to win so badly right now.

"Bet." I tell him and got to my alley. Elliot goes to the one on my right and we let our balls roll.

I strike. He doesn't.

I give him a fake sad look and then turn to George, high fiving him.

Elliot stretches his hand out and I gladly shake it.

"Okay Okay. You beat me fair and square." He says and I just shrug, as if it's no big deal.

We put our normal shoes back on and go to the little diner in the bowling arcade. It's higher up than the rest of it and has Plexiglas-windows as a shield from the actual arcade.

We quickly find a booth to sit in and I order myself some fires, while Elliot goes for a classic hamburger. "So how come you're so good a bowling?" He asks me when the waitress sets down our drinks. "I've been going here since I was like six." I tell him.

"So, do you do any other sports apart from bowling?" I ask. He nods, "I've tried out for the basketball team. You?" "I used to play Volleyball throughout middle school and at the beginning of my freshman year." "I figured that one out from P.E. last time." He smirks and I look down, a little bit embarrassed now. "But why don't you anymore?" He asks and I shrug, "Just not my thing anymore, I guess." He nods.

We keep the conversation light, kind of just playing twenty questions. I find out that his favourite colour is yellow, he has a younger and an older sister and he's from Texas. I teased him with my best cowboy impression when he told me that.

He's about to say something when we hear the bell on the door. Noah, Liam and the few guys from earlier walk in. Noah spots us right away and walks over to us. I pray that it's only because he wants to greet us but again, luck is not on my side. Instead all of them walk over to us and split up into two booths. Liam sits next to Elliot and Noah next to me. I have a weird feeling about this.

"So, what are the two of you doing here?" Liam asks and I answer, "We're just hanging out." "Hanging out?" Noah asks and I nod, not sure where he is going with this. "But I thought you couldn't even stand him being near you." He continues and I look at Elliot and then back to Noah. "Well we hung out today and he's not as annoying as he was at first." I look to Elliot with a small smile. Then Noah puts his hand on my hip and pulls me against his side. I try to get away from him, but he won't budge. "Dude just leave her alone. She's clearly not interested." Elliot tells him and Noah scoffs, "And how would you know that? This is-" I cut him off, "Seriously Noah, let me go. What is it with you today?"

Eventually he let's go of me and I slip out of the booth, putting twenty dollars on the table. "I'm going. You want to drive me home?" I ask Elliot and he nods, putting some money on top of mine.

I don't even bother to tell Liam and Noah goodbye. What the fuck is wrong with him. Okay we kissed, but that's it. And it was because we wanted to prank the others. Geez and I thought us girls were complicated.