CHAPTER 28

The History exam went really well. I knew almost every answer to every question. Call me nerd but I love it when I do well on a test. Especially a final, as that is.

As soon as I got out the classroom I was kept in for the past hour I texted Milli and Simon.

H: One done. One more to go.

M: You seriously need to stop saying that after every final you take.

H: Never.

S: Told you she wouldn't.

H: You know it.

Just this little conversation that didn't even last a minute brought a smile on my face.

I look at the time and rush towards the lunch hall. I am starving. And maybe I want to get the seat next to Elliot before Anna does. But only maybe.

When I get through the doors I make a bee-line to the lunch lady and give her the kindest smile I can muster. She smiles back and puts one chocolate pudding more on my tray. Why didn't I discover the effect of fake smiling for the lunch lady sooner?

Anyways. When I get to our lunch table I smile when I see that Elliot put his bag on the empty chair next to him, keeping it not available for anybody else. Tyler is on his right meaning that I can sit on his left.

My fake smile turns into real one when he turns his head and sees me. I come to a halt at the table and he puts his bag down from the chair for me.

"Thanks." I say and he nods.

"You're welcome."

"Here." I put the extra pudding on his plate and he gives me a side hug.

"You're the best."

The best at falling in love with you, I think.

The rest of the little group comes in one by one. I don't miss the way Anna frowns a little bit when she sees where I'm sitting.

Sorry not Sorry, Anna.

"I have an idea." Tyler says.

I look at him and so does everybody else.

"Since finals are going to be over this week, how about we have a little get together on Saturday." He continues and all of them agree. Well except for me.

When they notice I am not responding, Elliot nudges my elbow.

"You in?" He asks and I quietly answer, "I can't."

"Why?" He asks the same time that Anna mutters a 'of course she can't'. I shoot her a dry look and then turn to Elliot again. "I can't tell you."

"I guess we'll just have to do it without you." Sarah answers for all of them.

"That's fine with me." I lie and then continue to be quiet for the rest of lunch. If they don't need me this weekend then they won't need me now either.

I have twenty minutes until lunch ends but decide to already take my bag and get out of there without a goodbye.

Just as I get to my locker, I feel a hand on my shoulder, stopping me. I turn around and see Elliot there.

"Did I forget something?" I ask. Why is he here?

"Yes. Your smile." He answers and I roll my eyes, opening my locker.

"Why are you like this now?" He eventually asks and I roll my eyes again.

"Like what?"

"Aggressively taking out your books, giving me short responses and genuinely being pissed."

"It doesn't matter."

"It does if it puts you in a bad mood."

"Seriously Elliot. Go back to your friends who I am sure are already talking about spending time together." I snap and shut my locker.

"I know what this is about." He says and I raise an eyebrow.

"I'm not that dumb Hailey. I saw how what Sarah said got to you, and as your friend I'm telling you that I won't go either."

"Why?"

"Because if you are not coming, then I don't want to either." He answers and I smile.

"No. If you don't have anything better to do then go on Saturday. I won't have time the entire weekend. Not for anyone." I say and he cocks his head to the side a little bit.

"You are not planning to vanish of the face of earth without telling anyone now are you?"

"No. I promise I'm not." I say with a light chuckle.

"You better not be."

"But seriously, go with them." I insist. I don't want him to miss out on anything because of me.

"I'll think about it."

When I look at the clock above the lockers I remember how we first met. A light chuckle escapes my lips and Elliot looks at me questioningly. "What's so funny?" He asks and I sit down on the ground. Elliot copies my movements and raises and eyebrow, telling me to answer his question.

"Remember when we first bumped into each other in this exact hallway?" I ask and he nods.

"You definitely weren't fond of me a few months ago."

"Oh I definitely hated your guts." I correct him with a laugh.

"Why though?" He asks and I shrug. "I don't know actually. Something about you just ticked me off."

"Well, I am glad that I was persistent enough to get under your skin."

"You were practically begging me to go out and spend time with you."

"Call it what you want, but without me begging, we wouldn't be friends in the first place."

"True."

There is a comfortable silence between us until he breaks it.

"Want to know a secret?" Elliot whispers in my ear and I nod. "I thought you looked really pretty that day."

My breath hitches and I slowly turn my head to look at him. He is smiling.

"Thank you." I manage to say. More like croak out.

We're still looking at each other. Did our faces get closer? Oh my god, why is he this close to me all of a sudden? My lungs feel like they are going to give out ay second now.

Our foreheads are almost touching each other when there are footsteps coming closer to us. We quickly part and I look in the direction of the footsteps coming.

Mrs. Glews turns the corner and gives us a friendly smile as she passes.

Elliot clears his throat but doesn't look at me again. "I'll see you after school." He says and almost runs away down the hallway.

A tear escapes my eye but I quickly wipe it away with my hand and stand up too, ready to get to my next class.

Why? Just why?