Your one and only (Jill)

Hello again!

Why is she so-

WARNING! Mentions of death, loss, and grief

Rain and tears mingle on your face, salty tracks blending into the fresh sky-fallen trickles. Only the pinkness of your eyes gives any clue to your sadness, and in this city, who will look closely enough to tell. There is a heaviness to your woolen coat that was absent when you left the hospital.

The rain beats down on you like a drum; the sheer force, combined with your ultimate sadness, was tiring. The massive sign covered in graffiti signaled that you had just entered the local park. Seems a good enough place as any to have a breakdown.

The children play park came in to view, and that's when the memories of your childhood spiked; it was this exact play park you met the love of your life, Jill. Better times and Better memories.

Yesterday was so simple, you picked up the expensive ring you could barely afford, you got Jills' favorite flowers, her go-to snacks. And even had her favorite movie ready to play. Jill always said she wanted subtle, so a proposal in the apartment you now shared together seemed perfect. Little did you know that shortly after midnight, you would get a call.

A call you hoped would never come, a call you couldn't imagine would ever come. The sound of a man's voice, easily mid-'50s, said with nothing but sorrow, the two words you never wanted to hear. "I'm sorry,"

The rest of the call was a blur; you couldn't even remember hanging up. But you had one destination, and that was the Raccoon City Hospital.

It was fairly routine for people with Jills' skill set, a possible kidnap and hostage situation. You didn't know the details, and quite frankly, you didn't care for them, but the man who was responsible for that crime had just taken the life of your one and only.

Your mind was in denial; she would be fine. Sitting up in the hospital bed with a slight cut, anxiously awaiting your arrival.

This was far from the case. The sad smile the doctor offered you; told you everything you needed to know. She was gone—your Jill. The sight you entered on was sickening. Multiple bullet wounds scattered her chest and stomach, tubes, and wires were surrounding her body. Her face was pale white, but her neck under was stained crimson red.

The overwhelming urge to release the contents of your stomach was stopped, for you had to be strong at this moment. The tears you tried so hard to keep back were eventually released—a downpour, similar to the one outside.

It was almost as if mother nature had taken your soul as a reference to how the weather would be. At first, the flood gates opened, and as you stroked her cold, bloodless cheek, the rain got heavier and heavier.

Your tears of sadness soon became anger. When the anger crept up, you could hear the light rumble of impending thunder, followed by the deadly strike of lightning.

The devil himself would have been shaking at your fury, begging for endless mercy.

She was right in front of you, even in death, she was angelic. You took this opportunity to let everything out. Your agonizing wails of pain echoed through the empty hospital hallways; patients, doctors, and nurses could all hear your life unfolding. This is genuine pain.

As preparations for Jills' body were put into place, you kissed her hand one last time. The last time. Your heart was officially broken; no amount of time would heal this fracture on your being. The second you exited the hospital room, you felt nothing.

A man you knew to be Jills' partner, Chris, was standing by the door. He, too, looked distraught, his tall, overpowering demeanor was gone. Replaced by utter sadness, he avoided eye contact as he caught your attention.

"I'm so sorry, I-I tried my best, but- "

You shook your head in response. You knew Chris would take this hard; Jill was his partner after all.

"Don't do that to yourself, she wouldn't let you," That was all you could manage; it was blunt but to the point.

"In the event of one of our- this is for you, I promised I would give it to you,"

Chris held out a small envelope, which you took before aimlessly walking through the silent corridor.

With those thoughts pushed aside, you looked down at the wrinkled envelope; it was slightly water damaged, so you hoped whatever was inside was still intact.

You took a seat by the playground; it was covered from rain by a small canopy. As you open the envelope, you take a deep breath when you realize it's a letter, and the handwriting is unmistakable. It was Jill who wrote this.

"So, I'm not good with this sort of thing. I hope that you never have to read this.

Anyway, Hi, babe. If you receive this letter then, well. I'm gone.

I want to start off by saying that I'm sorry. I know how you will react to this; you will be upset at first, but that will turn to anger; it will be with others at first, but soon the anger will be with yourself. Please don't let it consume you; I know you won't fight it, which is why I will personally come back and throw it out of you. (Drawn smiley face) when my light goes out, and it's my time to settle down, just know that my main concern will be you. Always you.

Secondly, I love you. I dedicated everything I have to you, but it still feels like it isn't enough. When I get home tonight, I will be sure to tell you ten times over just how much I love you.

Finally, since you probably/hopefully won't see this, I should tell you that I may have plans to get you a puppy for your birthday. You won't stop talking about it and well if it makes you smile. It will make me smile. Also want to add that I'm still waiting for you to propose; stop teasing me with it and ask the question already! The answer is always yes.

You're the one I can't live without.

This fact is true, I have no doubt.

I love the way you smile at me.

I love the way together we're free.

Your one and only, Jill."

Everything about this letter was crushing. She was waiting for you to propose. God was playing a sick game right now; he had no respect for your life. Everything that you wanted was supposed to happen tonight. You would finally spend the rest of your life with her until the powers beyond took it all away.

The tears continued to fall, and the rain had yet to die down. Looking out at the busy street beyond the park, the neon glow of high street shops surrounded by water droplets, created the aesthetic of a lifetime. You began to see her face in the rain; you could make out every single detail that made her so unique. As a flash of lightning temporarily blinded your vision, by the time it was back. Her face was gone.

There was no doubt that tonight would forever be remembered, just not in the way you hoped. The night you were to ask Jill for her hand in marriage was the same night you lost her forever.