Chapter 1

Erica Thorncroft

House: Slytherin, 5th year

Wand: Dittany Stalk

Sign: Capricorn

Patronus: Moth

Author's note/disclaimer:

Hi everyone! Thanks for picking to read The Healer. It was my first attempt at a fanfiction at the height of DracoTok. So just being upfront, it can be pretty cringe. Also a big critique I get a lot is the main couple is up and down A LOT. So if having your heart toyed with is not your thing I'm sorry! But I put a lot of looooove and care into this fanfic and it will always hold a special place in my heart. And it has a sequel!

Content warnings for: blood, gore, sexual content, daddy issues, mentions of non-con, mentions of s*icide, mentions of self-h*rm. And lots and lots of emotional rollercoasters. It gets messy.

Feel free to check out some of my other works if you're interested (I do original writing, AOT fanfic, and Hogwarts Legacy). Much love -kittyhawk

link to the playlist ->

---

"Erica! Erica, is that you?"

A familiar voice made me turn just as a dainty hand touched the shoulder of my robe. Slick black hair that hung in purposely placed strands framed the face of my longtime friend and roommate, Penny Parkinson. Her narrow eyes gleamed when I turned.

"I don't believe it," she scanned me up and down. Once, twice. The hand on my shoulder lingered on a strand of my dirty blonde hair. We stood just outside the entrance to the Great Hall with flocks of students flowing around us like salmon. "You look.... Different."

I cocked an eyebrow. That was about the reaction I expected from her. When our other friends Evelyn and Greta saw me they acted like I had drank polyjuice potion. I had dropped a few pounds and changed my hair color over the summer. But I was still the same quiet girl they've known since year 1.

"I enchanted my hair," I admitted sourly to Penny's examining eyes. "I was going for barley blonde. Unfortunately, it came out as more of a dishwater."

Penny immediately snorted at my words like she had been holding in a laugh since she laid eyes on me. "It was a fair attempt," she said over the roaring babble of the other students, "Huge improvement over the mousy brown you had before."

I muttered my thanks then trailed after her to join the throng of students in the Great Hall and seek out Evelyn and Greta. Evelyn and Greta completed our little friend foursome of fifth year Slytherin girls, the same girls I have been bunking with for the past five years. I met up with Evelyn and Greta already on the train ride. Penny, however, did not join us. The reason was unknown to me, but at least it meant I only had to listen to two tittering gossips on the train, and not three.

"Well, well!" Greta clicked her tongue as Penny and I took our seats at the end of the long Slytherin table, closest to the back of the room. We always chose that spot on purpose because of the view; we could see everyone, but they couldn't see us. "Finally, you make an appearance," Greta poked at Penny, who swatted away her finger.

"Where were you seated on the train?" Evelyn inquired, her blond eyelashes batting up and down as she glanced between Penny and the greenleaf salad she was carefully forking onto her plate. Evelyn Vaughn was a pretty girl and the tallest of all of us. Her outer demeanor exuded grace and poise- that is, until she opened her mouth, revealing no bats in the attic. Evelyn was not the smartest girl, but her gorgeous blonde hair made up for it. That was the hair I had in mind when placing the enchantment on my own. Maybe it was for the best that mine landed off-target; if I came to school with shiny yellow hair, no doubt the girls would peg me as a copycat.