Chapter 11

Draco's words echoed in my brain the whole time I was in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good girl. Just the thought of him saying it made my toes curl. It was a great effort to push it from my mind and pay attention to Snape's lecture- but just looking at Snape reminded me of the secret Draco had coerced me to keep.

Shady bastard, I thought, gripping my quill with unnecessary force, using my attraction to him as leverage in keeping his dirty secret. And as a consequence of using my book as evidence that cleared him from blame, Snape and McGonagall now believe he and I are... together. Perhaps intimately.

I cast a shifty look at Penny to my right. She was mindlessly doodling spirals and moons on her parchment. It seemed no one in the student body was aware of me and Draco's supposed fling. Good; it was my intention to keep it that way.

"For homework, read pages 240 to 259," Snape drawled, tapping his wand in the palm of his hand, "You would be wise to pay close attention to the footnotes. Class is dismissed," he raised a brow, the lower half of his face unmoving. "Except for you, Miss Thorncroft. A word, please."

I couldn't conceal the wide-eyed expression of shock that was plastered on my face. Penny leaned over to me, interested.

"Why is Professor Snape asking to speak with you?" she asked in a hushed voice, her eyes suspicious.

"I-I suppose it could be about the last exam," I replied. I didn't attempt to hide my nervousness as I gathered my things into my bookbag, for any student would be scared if Snape asked them to stay behind class. Even though he was my head of house, my interactions with Snape have been few and far between. Honestly, I tried my best to stay away from the gloomy, intimidating man.

Penny wished me pitying words of good luck which I don't think she really meant at all and then went off to the dorms with Evelyn and Greta. Alone in the Dark Arts classroom with Snape, I made haste to come to the front of the classroom where he waited for me with a displeased expression.

Words began to spill out in wake of my nervousness. "Professor, about the recent exam," I began, "I promise I've been studying. I don't know why I continue to get such bad marks. It's truly my own fault, and I apologize- It is not my intention to be a poor reflection on Slytherin house- I wish to become a healer, you see, and Madam Pomfrey informed me my marks are of utmost importance- and so I've been devoting extra time to Defense Against the Dark Arts. I really have-"

Snape waited until I was finished. When I was done berating myself, he spoke.

"Your exam was acceptable, Miss Thorncroft," Snape informed me, moving only his lips, "It is an improvement from last term." He clicked his tongue. "Your effort is evident."

I relaxed, smiling to myself from the relief. "Thank you, Professor."

Snape blinked slowly. "I wish to speak with you on the matter of Draco."

"O-oh." I believe my face flushed a shade of red that would have made an apple look white. I tried to keep myself composed. "What about him, sir?"

Without turning his head, Snape's eyes shifted across the room to make sure we were truly alone. Maintaining his hard stare, he uttered, "You've become quite close to the boy, haven't you?"

I wanted to say no, but remembered that Snape saw the paintings I had done of Draco in my book. To him, we were friends- possibly more than that. I stammered on my reply.

"I-I suppose so."

Snape's stare became lethal. I began to perspire under my cloak. From his taut mouth, he said to me, "I know that you are lying on his behalf." My throat closed, panic-stricken. Snape paused as if to allow me an opportunity to come clean. When I remained quiet, he added, "You do not know what you are involving yourself in, Miss Thorncroft. You would be wise to distance yourself from the boy."