Chapter 9

I didn't see Draco again for a long time after that night.

My friends, particularly Penny, were upset with me for leaving the party early. I offered them no sincere apology, or an explanation of what had happened in the dark corner of the boy's corridor afterwards. As much as I replayed that moment in my head, I couldn't make sense of it. And it tore me up.

I looked for Draco everywhere I went. I never sought him out, but I did notice how when I walked through the halls my eyes seemed to hunt for any tall man who was blonde, or how my heart jumped every time I saw a professor in a suit rounding the corner. But I didn't see Draco in the halls; or in the Great Hall, or even in the common room.

I began to reason with myself that Draco had relieved me of my position of his healer because he simply couldn't stand to be dependent on some flouncy 5th year that threw herself at him when she was drunk. But that didn't explain why he had kissed me so passionately, and with that soft expression- in the moment, I thought that perhaps he had desired me, too. But the longer I thought about it the less it made sense. Perhaps he pitied me. Wanted to show me what a real kiss was like. But if that was the case, then that was his mistake- for now, without any doubt in my mind, I was hopelessly and completely fixated on him.

Snow began to fall the next month. By mid-October, it had coated most everything, making late night trips to the lake impossible. I had gone a couple more times to get a moment of peace from my friends and return to my painting, every time hopeful that Draco might show up again. But he didn't. And all I could seem to paint was him.

Cade ended up apologizing profusely for that night and making me supposedly sick. I accepted his apology half-heartedly, more inclined to do so because his group of friends and mine seemed to have melded into its own little incestuous dating circle. They did most everything together, including trips to Hogsmeade, which is where I found myself sitting in a booth alone at Hog's Head with my notebook while everyone else chatted over butterbeers one table over.

Greta waved at me to join them. But I saw the look in Penny's eyes when Greta did so. An unmistakable glare. I rose from my seat, tucking my book under my arm.

"I have to use the loo," I said, gesturing to the restrooms in the back. "I'll come back in a bit." Greta nodded. But I knew most everyone didn't care if I was there or not; after all, I wasn't a part of a couple, and certainly wasn't willing to canoodle with Cade. I would chat with them for a bit, then excuse myself to go back to the dormitory.

I walked through the door that separated the dining room from the bathrooms and entered the quaint women's restroom. Only two toilet stalls were inside, and I chose the closer one and carefully set my book on the floor. Someone else entered just as I finished, and I didn't pay much mind to it- but as soon as they saw someone was already in a stall, they left.

Odd. There was a second stall for them to use, I thought. Maybe they wanted complete privacy. I washed my hands in the bowl-like sink and exited the restroom back to the tiny hallway, starting towards the pub lobby- but realized I had forgotten my book.

"Dammit," I cursed quietly, turning back around to re-enter the restroom. I stopped in my tracks as soon as the door closed behind me. Someone had entered the women's restroom since I left. I blinked once. Twice. I thought it was maybe my vision playing tricks on me, making me see a ghost.

"Draco," I said to the man standing in the middle of the restroom. He spun around to face me, eyes wild. Not a ghost.

He had something tucked under his arm, a slim box wrapped over and over in tattered leather. I had so much I wanted to say to this man, to ask him; but all I could say in the moment was, "What are you doing?"

Draco's facial expression morphed from surprise into guilt, and then anger. "You need to leave."

"Actually," I found my courage and clung to it, "You're in the women's restroom. I think you should leave." My eyes went down to the box he had under his arm. "What is that-" I began to say, but Draco cut me off.

"Get. Out." he commanded, his tone lethal. I balked. Even when he was at his rudest, he never spoke to me like this.

He watched me with careful eyes as I stepped towards him. "What is going on, Draco? Where have you been?"

His lip quivered. Almost like he couldn't stand to look at me, his eyes went to the floor. "If you know what's good for you, you'll stay away from me."

"Why?" I demanded, "Is it because I'm young and have moments of foolishness? Is it because you simply don't need my help anymore? Do you simply not want me?"

My questions landed on Draco like bullets. His face twisted into a pained look. He shook his head slowly at the ground, but no words came out.

"Tell me, Draco," I whispered.

"Leave," he said again.

"No."

He bared his wand at me. "Leave, or I'll hurt you."

My mouth opened slightly, letting in a small gasp. I wouldn't let him know this, but he had already hurt me. And now, I couldn't even stand to look at him.

I balled my hands into fists and stared down the hilt of his wand. "You know, Draco, you're not as bad as everyone else says you are. You're worse," I spat.

Tears brimmed my eyes as I rushed out of the restroom. I took the back exit from Hog's Head back to the castle, so no one could see me cry.